I had some time on my hands so I decided to add a third round. I will probably hold off on any further changes until after the combine. I don't put a lot of stock in that process, but some teams seem to. I'll probably add a fourth round at that time too. Still some very good players left to be chosen.
Comment away. I'll listen and answer any questions you have.
1. Rams - J. Clausen QB St. Louis makes the smartest pick for their long term success. Suh is definitely a possibility but I think the Rams do the math and realize their offence is in dire straights with their current stable of QBs. If Bradford looks good in his pro day, he may unseat Clausen as the pick here. I will wait until then before I change this pick.
2. Lions - N. Suh DT Detroit quickly snaps up another key player to overhaul a dreadful defence. Call me a homer for calling the draft this way but I will be just as happy if the Lions take Gerald McCoy. A can't miss scenario for the Lions. A lot of Lions fans don't agree with me.
3. Bucs - G. McCoy DT Tampa would prefer Suh, but I don't see them offering any picks to move up to get him. McCoy helps the defence against both the run and pass. This spot is much too early for D. Morgan DE.
4. Skins - R. Okung LT They pass on Bradford to address a huge hole in their O line. J. Campbell gets one more shot to be the long term QB with Mike Shanahan.
5. Chiefs - E. Berry S Too much value to pass by. D line or LB help will be available later.
6. Seahawks - B. Campbell LT He will move up the draft boards with a great combine showing. Seattle thinks about a DE too but they don't offer the value that Campbell does and they may get a very good one with their second first rounder. Bradford also gets a look here but his injury questions remain unanswered.
7. Browns - R. McClain ILB Too early for this position? Maybe, but he is a huge missing piece for the Browns to build on. McClain is the best 3-4 ILB since.....well, Patrick Willis. Haden or E. Thomas are considered and passed. I think the Browns secondary can wait until later to add some talent.
8. Raiders - A. Davis OT Oakland needs help at either tackle position and Davis is the type of big, run blocking Tackle they love. Jemarcus gets his last chance to prove he is an NFL QB. Needless to say, Gradkowski will start the most games in 2010.
9. Bills - B. Bulaga OT Buffalo is forced to reach a little bit for a player that they have to have. Bulaga will vindicate his pick with a solid year and career. A QB is thought of but the only one worth the pick, isn't. Especially in windy and cold Buffalo. Not to mention New Jersey and New England.
10. Broncos - S. Bradford QB Denver can't believe it, a bona fide franchise QB for the taking. McDaniels grabs him without reading the lengthy disclaimer. A NT or S is looked at but......are you kidding me? Sam Bradford!?!
11. Jaguars - E. Thomas S Instant help for a secondary that desperately needs it. Especially in a division with the Colts and Texans. Dunlap the DE is an option, but they already have one underperforming Florida alum at DE. They pass on Haden too because Jag fans tell me that D. Cox and Mathis are solid. Who am I to argue?
12. Dolphins - D. Williams NT A new big body to man the middle is needed. Big Dan is the best choice. The Linebackers who are available do not measure up. See you in the second round.
13. 49ers - Joe Haden CB Amazing value here and a great fit for San Fran. The Niner fans say they want Spiller but Coach Singletary is building a dominant defence. They will get an OT later. Trust me.
14. Seahawks - C. Dunlap DE The Seattle brain trust struggle between Carlos and D. Morgan. Dunlap has more potential and he gets the nod. I rethought this one, strongly considering Morgan instead. I'll stick with Dunlap. Dez Bryant is thought of but they need a better pass rush.
15. Giants - D. Morgan DE New York would have loved Earl Thomas but they need to improve the D line. Yeah, the one they were calling the best in the NFL in October 2009. Remember that? Giants fans want a DT instead. I look over your roster and leave Morgan as the pick. More value, same need.
16. 49ers - T. Williams OT They get a great Right Tackle who might make the move to the left side if they need him.Some might think this is early for Trent, but this will really solidify their O line. A speed back can be picked up later.
17. Titans - J. Pierre-Paul DE Tennessee needs an upgrade at DE. Brandon Graham might move up to this spot if the Titans can get over JPP's amazing combine numbers and figure out that Graham is just a better football player but like most NFL organizations they like the bigger faster guys. A corner like D. Warren might work here too.
18. Steelers - M. Iupati G Pittsburgh addresses their problems on the O line by correctly upgrading the interior with massive Mike. He teams up with Troy P. to dominate shampoo commercials. Corners K. Wilson, Warren. and Ghee are a good option but left for a later round.
19. Falcons - K. Wilson CB A solid corner is needed to improve the pass defence. Wilson has made believers out of a lot of NFL GMs. Great combination of speed and agility and power. A little short, but then he would not be available here if he were over six feet. Mike Smith looks longingly at Dez Bryant, but moves on.
20. Texans - B. Price DT Building a very stout defence requires that Shaun Cody not be in the starting lineup. Price will be a great help against both the pass and run with his amazing penetration. A high impact Corner wouldn't hurt either.
21. Bengals - D. Bryant WR Cinci gets lucky and finds a game breaking wideout waiting for them. Actually, CJ Spiller would be an interesting alternative, but they will be happy with Dez.
22. Patriots - CJ Spiller RB Conventional wisdom is that New England would take a rush LB to help the pass rush.But they have McKenzie coming off a season long injury from last year and plenty of options in the second round. My belief is that Belichick will trade back into the first for Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham, but Spiller is an element that the Pat offence has been missing for a long time. They take him now.
23. Packers - C. Brown LT A very good pass blocking Tackle who needs a little weight to become a top end LT. He is the last one left and Green Bay must take him. A corner for depth is another choice which should not be taken.
24. Eagles - B. Graham DE A great player who will help the Philly defence in every way. It is a little early for a Safety but one of Warren or Ghee will help the depth of the secondary at CB if they like.
25. Ravens - D. Williams WR Damian is a young Derrick Mason that would fit in immediately. Flacco needs more targets. A successor for Todd Heap [Gresham] could be added here but I like the value of the WR more.
26. Cardinals - J. Hughes OLB An excellent presence off the edge and a great all around athlete. Arizona needs some Tackle help but there is no one, I mean no one, who is even close to this value here. Wait a round.
27. Cowboys - D. Warren CB A pure value pick. Dallas has two excellent corners now, but Newman is getting up there. No LTs or Guards worth a first round pick. This was a tough pick because of what happened earlier.
28. Chargers - T. Cody NT A reach, and in this case, a big reach. But he fits a large need. An every down back like Dwyer could be looked at here, but I don't think they will pick him.
29. Jets - R. Sapp OLB They need an understudy for Pace and Thomas. Maybe Kindle goes here instead. A WR is also a possibility but I think they pass on LaFell now.
30. Vikings - B. Ghee CB Some help for their secondary is necessary. Ghee is a very good sized, fast corner. They will need him against the QBs they will be facing in their division. A small reach for a Safety like Nate Allen or Chad Jones could happen here but the CB is a much better value.
31. Colts - J. Gresham TE As suggested by Indy fans, this is a great match of need and value. I am assuming that he gets a clean bill of health and can show what he can do before the draft. Another DT like Odrick will get a long look too.
32. Saints - E. Griffen DE I am not a fan of this guy but another DE to work with Will Smith would solidify this up and coming defence. Another Linebacker like Weatherspoon would also help for depth and to be an eventual starter.
33. Rams - B. LaFell WR The QB needs some weapons and LaFell is a first round talent. Odrick and a CB are considered.
34. Lions - D. McCourty CB I was hoping for Ghee or Wilson but he is the best CB left. If K. Smith's injury is worse than has been let on, Dwyer or Best will be selected here. They still might.
35. Bucs - C. Jones S There are a batch of good receivers available here, but that should mean at least one will be available in the third round. I take Chad Jones, a big safety with amazing potential. Should help against the run and the pass.
36. Chiefs - C. Thomas NT They have spent big over the last few drafts on the D line. Big Cam comes a little cheaper and will help that weak run defence. Spikes is considered, as is Weatherspoon and one of those good receivers. If they don't take him here, the Bills will take him a little later.
37. 'Skins - J. Dwyer RB Washington was running on empty due to injuries at the RB position. Portis and Betts are getting up there and new blood is needed. Best is another option.
38. Browns - J. Odrick DE They will use him on the edge where he will be outstanding. Frankly, I doubt he falls this far, but that's the way it worked out.
39. Raiders - L. Houston DT They were terrible against the run and need some talent to go with their outstanding DEs and MLB. Taylor Mays was drooled over. Cooler/saner heads prevailed. Maybe not in real life though.
40. Seahawks - P. Cox CB Seattle upgrades at cornerback. An RB is another need but J. Best is a near clone of the underrated Forsett. Dwyer would have been the choice here if.....maybe next round.
41. Bills - C. Wootton DE Even if Buffalo does not go 3-4, a DE is needed and Wootton looks like he could fill the position in either scheme. J. Best got a good look as a replacement for Marshawn Lynch, and Weatherspoon LB is also a good pick here.
42. Bucs - G. Tate WR This came down to Tate or Benn. I'll give them Tate as he can actually catch the ball which Benn doesn't. Weatherspoon would help the D, but their receivers really stink.
43. Dolphins - S. Kindle OLB A replacement for either Taylor or Porter. Some have him as a first rounder. Not me. A WR would be nice, but maybe next round.
44. Patriots - B. Spikes ILB A very good value here. I did not think of anyone else.
45. Broncos - M. Pouncey C/G They could use him in either position. The D could use some help against the run but I did not see anyone on the D line worth this pick.
46. Giants - N. Allen S A really good solid player. He may turn out to be the best Safety of this very, very good class.
47. Patriots - A. Carrington DE When in doubt, go for the D line. I honestly believe that the Patriots are going to package a few second rounders to move back into the first round. They had a lot of picks last year that they are still trying to work in and they don't need another bunch of rookies. They need a couple of difference makers.
48. Panthers - A. Roberts WR Must get a receiver to pair with Steve Smith. A few of the other WRs could have gone here too.
49. 49ers - J. Best RB A great value here. Ducasse was a possibility but I love the value of this pick for the Niners.
50. Chiefs - A. Benn WR He looked really good as a frosh and soph. The Chiefs hope that is what he is.
51. Texans - V. Ducasse G/T If they want to run, they better upgrade their blockers. This big guy will help.
52. Steelers - T. Mays S The Steelers are the one team that will sit him and bring him along. Lots of potential.
53. Pats again! - A. Hernandez TE Either him or another WR. There are a few good ones around.
54. Bengals - S. Weatherspoon OLB All about the value. D. Jones is not getting any younger, Spoon will allow ReyMa to go back in the middle.
55. Eagles -N. Bowman OLB Another good value pick that helps the Eagles improve their defence. Bowman could have gone in the first.
56. Packers -D. Franks CB He is a solid CB prospect who will help on special teams and be ready to step in to a starting role in a year or two.
57. Ravens - P. Robinson CB I am not crazy about him as a prospect, but he is highly thought of by people who know a lot more than me. A few other CBs could be substituted here.
58. Cardinals - K. Calloway RT An excellent RT who can help this offence out a lot. Too good a fit to look at anything else.
59. Cowboys - M. Burnett S A big Safety that needs some rough edges smoothed out, but is a big upgrade over Hamlin.
60. Chargers - J. McKnight RB An explosive multipurpose back who will take over the #1 RB role. A heavier duty back like A. Dixon would also work, but I think the Chargers go for the speedier guy.
61. Jets - J. Williams WR He looked great at the Senior Bowl and is a solid receiver. More a #2 guy to me, but he fills an important need.
62. Vikings - M. Johnson G A good run blocker to improve the run game performance. An RB could also go here, but I think Chester stays put.
63. Colts - D. Washington MLB A perfect fit for Indy. An understudy to Gary Brackett. A first round value.....at least in my mind.
65. Rams - Sean Lee - OLB I struggled with this pick. I think the Rams may end up trading this pick. I thought of Austen Lane and Rob Gronkowski but a useable DE can be gotten in the fourth, and the offence has already been heavily bolstered in this draft. I know Lee had some injury issues but he looks fully recovered and has the athletic ability to play any of the LB spots.
66. Lions - AJ Edds OLB J. Peterson's replacement. A couple of the WRs were tempting as were the Guards, but I think the Lions want a solid LB corps, without the expensive Peterson.
67. Bucs - G. Hardy DE A bit of a risk, but a lot of potential here. If Austen Lane looks good in the combine [and Hardy does poorly], he will move up to this spot.
68. Chiefs - E. Norwood OLB He did not look good at the Senior Bowl, but it is hard to ignore his performance during his college career. A good fit for KC who need to upgrade that pass rush.
69. Raiders - JD Walton C This offence needs help and a solid Center is needed to stabilize that line.
70. Eagles - R. Jones S Some secondary help for the Eagles to stop Romo and Manning from cutting them up.
71. Browns - R. Gronkowski TE They need an upgrade at TE and the recovered Gronk will fit the bill.
72. Bills - Koa Misi OLB A rush OLB for their new 3-4 scheme. Maybin on one side, Misi on the other. Nice.
73. Dolphins - D. Thomas WR The kid is very raw and needs coaching, but he could develop into a huge weapon for Miami in a couple of years.
74. Jaguars - T. Tebow QB If he is here, the Jags will take him. He is definitely worth a shot at this spot in the draft.
75. Bears - J. Asamoah OG With their first pick, Chicago takes a Guard. Whoopee! They must retool the O Line.
76. Giants - A. Jones DT He has fallen due to his injuries, but this could be a great pick for the Giants.
77. Titans - K. Jackson CB Some help for a weak secondary.
78. Panthers - M. Neal DT They are very thin on the interior of their line. Neal has good size and should help them.
79. 49ers - J. Shipley WR A nice addition to their WR corps. He will take the slot receiver position.
80. Broncos - V. Oghobaase DE He will play at DE in their 3-4 scheme.
81. Texans - A. Dixon RB A big back to complement Slaton and get the tough yards.
82. Steelers - M. Hardesty RB An all around back. He will provide some back up to Mendenhall and can play all three downs.
83. Falcons - A. Lane DE They need a pass rusher. Lane has looked very good at the Senior Bowl week and has all the tools to be effective in the NFL.
84. Bengals - M. Gilyard WR An easy pick for Cinci. The hometown boy will give Palmer another good target.
85. Raiders - J. Arenas CB/Ret He can be a solid nickel back and, more importantly, will raise the return game of the Raiders a lot.
86. Packers - Ryan Mathews RB The Pack need some depth at running back. Mathews can run, but not much else. They don't need him to catch, and they will teach him to block.
87. Eagles - R. Muckleroy OLB Some linebacker help for Philly. Depth now, starter later.
88. Ravens - E. Dickson TE A replacement for Todd Heap. Not sure what the hell Ozzie was thinking when they signed LJ Smith.
89. Cardinals - J. Murphy CB Another of the large group of Corners finds a home. He will be welcome in Arizona.
90. Cowboys - J. Veldheer OT/G A big body that will provide much needed depth and a potential long term starter at either the Tackle or Guard positions. The combine and workouts will be big for him to move up to here.
91. Chargers - D. Stuckey S The Bolts need some depth and instant help at Safety. Stuckey should pair very nicely with Weddle. I thought about an OT but did not see one that particularly fit.
92. Browns - C. Black RT/G Ciron could not cut it as an LT but looked good as a Guard and would be functional as a Right Tackle. Some nice flexibility here for the Browns O Line.
93. Vikings - M. Tennant C I am really not sure about this pick. The Vikes may go Safety [L. Asante would be my choice] but I am reading a lot about how poorly Sullivan did at Center. It just seems very early to give up on him.
94. Colts - T. Alualu DT Their DT picks from last year don't look like they worked out, so they reload and take another here. He is good value at the end of the third.
95. Saints - D. Watson OLB Some depth for that linebacking corps.