I added a round and made significant changes, so I felt it was worth posting a new one before the combine. Have to start clearing some room on my DVR to tape the whole thing.
1. St. Louis Rams - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
Look at the teams with QB issues. They are drafting in the first 10. Haynesworth's team went went 4-12. This is why QB is always the pick at the top of the draft.
2. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
No explanation necessary.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Many holes to fill, looking for an impact player. Could also be Berry.
4. Washington Redskins - Russell Okung, T, Oklahoma State
Good blocking is the key to Shanahan's offense, and his line needs major help.
5. Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
This defense needs a playmaker, and S is more of a need than ILB.
6. Seattle Seahawks - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Hasselbeck is wearing down. Bradford gets time to heal and learn the offense.
7. Cleveland Browns - Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
They have Jackson, but Mangini comes from the Pats system, where they like to have two good ILBs. McClain is the best available player.
9. Buffalo Bills - Bryan Bulaga, LT, Iowa
Would like a QB, but none left for here. After some poor 1st round picks, Bills choose the sure thing.
10. Denver Broncos - Dan Williams, NT/DE, Tennessee
Marshall has hinted at making nice. The d-line is weak. Williams could play NT, or lose a few pounds and play LDE.
11. Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
The Jags had 14 sacks on the whole season, and they are not reaching for a DE here.
12. Miami Dolphins - Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
They want McClain. Kindle has the all-around athleticism, similar to Matthews Jr., to do everything.
13. San Francisco 49ers - Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
The SF fans want safety help. The CB situation last year was due to injuries more than talent.
14. Seattle Seahawks - Charles Brown, T, USC
This could be Spiller, especially with Carroll having coached Bush, but they need to keep Hasselbeck alive and Forsett is better than Mora thought. Carroll picks his guy from USC.
15. New York Giants - Brian Price, DT, UCLA
The best player left at one of their defensive holes.
16. Tennessee Titans - Joe Haden, CB, Florida
They have better DE depth than CB. Haden is the BPA, and CBs have been less of a risk in the 1st round.
17. San Francisco 49ers - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
A weapon to create some excitement in this offense that needs it
18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
A mauler that fits the franchise.
19. Atlanta Falcons - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
They need a #2 WR, they get a #1. Defense has needs but this is the best value.
20. Houston Texans - Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
The best player at one of their defensive need positions.
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
The Bengals need a reliable WR.
22. New England Patriots - Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
Seymour's replacement and in line with Pats draft history.
23. Green Bay Packers - Bruce Campbell, LT, Maryland
An obvious need, although I was leaning towards Von Miller before he went back to school.
24. Philadelphia Eagles - Everson Griffen, DE, USC
The Eagles like to rotate their line, and a lot of their good backup DEs are aging.
25. Baltimore Ravens - Damian Williams, WR, USC
Flacco needs targets, Williams is ready right away.
26. Arizona Cardinals - Sean Weatherspoon, ILB, Missouri
Will replace Dansby as the leader of this defense and play his position.
27. Dallas Cowboys - Chad Jones, S, LSU
A big athlete that can play run and pass.
28. San Diego Chargers - Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
May only be a 2-down player but he is good at what he does.
29. New York Jets - Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Fits the coach's personality and will be asked to start right away.
30. Minnesota Vikings - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
A glaring need similar to the Jets, but is also an appropriate pick for this slot.
31. Indianapolis Colts - Daryl Washington, LB, TCU
Can play multiple LB positions and will fit the Colts system.
32. New Orleans Saints - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
An upgrade at LDE and a team that can afford the risk.
1. STL - Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
A huge target for Clausen.
2. DET - Cox, CB, Oklahoma State
An upgrade is needed at the position.
3. TB - McCourty, CB, Rutgers
Barber is aging out, and the talent level at the position drops from here.
4. KC - Williams, RT, Oklahoma
A 1st round talent that fits best as a right tackle in a zone-blocking system.
5. WAS - Matthews, RB, Fresno State
The most likely back in the draft to be an every-down player. The Redskins need a sure thing
6. CLE - Burnett, S, Georgia Tech
Pool's return is questionable and Elam is nothing special. Will start at SS or FS.
7. OAK - Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
The type of athlete Al Davis loves can learn from Seymour.
8. SEA - Graham, DE, Michigan
The replacement for Kerney with a similar speed game
9. BUF - Spikes, ILB, Florida
The best player here to help the transition to a 3-4.
10. NE from JAC- Benn, WR, Illinois
A deep speed threat to add some variety to the passing game.
11. MIA - Angerer, ILB, Iowa
A guy that makes plays, measurables be damned.
12. TB from CHI - LaFell, WR, LSU
Good size and speed to help Freeman.
13. DEN - Pouncey, C/G, Florida
Guard is the talent need now but their center is older than me.
14. NYG - Allen, S, South Florida
The desperately needed safety that can cover.
15. NE from TEN - Hughes, OLB, TCU
The pass rusher they want and need.
16. CAR - Houston, DT, Texas
WR a big need, but the value here is at DT.
17. SF - Black, RT, LSU
A powerful run blocker that has experience against speed rushers in college.
18. KC from ATL - Sapp, OLB, South Carolina
Vrabel is aging, and will be a good teacher for his replacement, who shows good potential.
19. HOU - Mays, S, USC
He drops far enough to take a chance.
20. PIT - Franks, CB, Oklahoma
They need help with their two-minute defense, where the pressure is on the corners.
21. NE - Best, RB, California
An elusive runner, Maroney has disappointed and the other RBs are at the end of their careers.
22. CIN - Neal, DT, Purdue
They have big bodies but no pass rush up the middle.
23. PHI - Jerry, G, Mississippi
Goodbye Andrews brothers. Hello lower doctors' bills. The big guy Philly likes has shown good athleticism.
24. GB - Norwood, OLB, South Carolina
Replaces Kampman, will allow Matthews more freedom to play all over the field like his father.
25. BAL - Robinson, CB, Florida State
Has his ups and downs, but has talent so I don't see him slipping any further.
26. ARI - Calloway, T, Iowa
A solid player to protect the lefty Leinart's blind side, but I think he can play both tackle positions.
27. DAL - Ducasse, G, Massachusetts
Another team that likes big guys, and Dallas can afford the time to develop him.
28. SD - Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
Would benefit from playing behind Tomlinson for a year. Physical skills but needs teaching.
29. NYJ - Roberts, WR, Citadel
A weapon is needed at WR, Edwards unreliable but will be the short-term option until his UFA year.
30. MIN - Thomas, DT, North Carolina
Williams is talking retirement and Thomas would be a good replacement.
31. IND - Fox, LT, Miami
Assuming good medical tests, a player that fits Indy. I see a 4-way competition with Ugoh, Johnson, and Diem for the two tackle spots.
32. NO - Bowman, LB, Penn State
More speed and youth at the LB position, and a great value here.
1. STL - Jones, DT, Syracuse
Spagnuolo gets his attacking DT, and he's already used to playing in a dome.
2. DET - Johnson, G, Alabama
So I'm not in the hate Backus club. Interior is more of a concern.
3. TB - Rolle, S, Florida State
Intelligence is highly underrated in safeties.
4. KC - Shipley, WR, Texas
Cassell needs targets, Shipley has good hands and speed.
5. OAK - Arenas, CB, Alabama
Return game skills and help at CB in a division that is throwing the ball more.
6. PHI from SEA - Jones, S, Georgia
Does Sean Jones have vision problems or is he really that bad?
7. CLE - Hernandez, TE, Florida
Puts another weapon on the field to help the QB.
8. BUF - McCluster, RB/WR, Mississippi
The Bills need some excitement on offense. They will likely lose Owens and Lynch is a flake.
9. MIA - Johnson, S, Utah
Giants and Raiders fans could have told you that Wilson is not a free safety.
10. CHI - Saffold, LT, Indiana
This guy is climbing the charts. People just realized Indiana had a football program.
11. JAC - Tebow, QB, Florida
I feel shame in making this pick. But they can use a backup QB and he can play a wildcat-type role.
12. NYG - Sharpton, MLB, Miami
A reach here. The Giants have done well with Miami LBs and need speed. Don't want a RT project.
13. TEN - Hardy, DE, Mississippi
Falls due to weight and poor senior year.
14. CAR - Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
Can block and catch, a big upgrade at the position.
15. SF - Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati
A fast WR used to their spread offense.
16. DEN - Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Even if Marshall comes back, it might not be long term.
17. HOU - McKnight, RB, USC
Good hands and speed, and different type of runner than Slaton or Foster.
18. PIT - Stuckey, S, Kansas
A big tackler that fills a position of need.
19. ATL - Lindley, CB, Kentucky
Lack of depth was exposed by injuries, although starters were not stars, either. Lindley's poor Senior Bowl drops him back.
20. CIN - Edds, LB, Iowa
Allows Maualauga to move to the middle.
21. OAK from NE - Atkins, DT, Georgia
They need some fight on the inside.
22. GB - Jackson, CB, Alabama
An obvious need with two old corners.
23. PHI - Priest, CB, TCU
After watching Dallas WRs run by them, they pick a corner with speed.
24. BAL - Pitta, TE, BYU
Heap version 2.
25. ARI - Cunningham, OLB, Florida
The outside pass rusher they need.
26. DAL - Williams, WR, Tulane
A solid receiver that works hard to replace a Williams that does not.
27. SD - Alualu, DE, California
The d-line could use a quick player as well, and he is a good value here.
28. CLE from NYJ - LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
Real competition for Quinn, Holmgren will look to finally stop the QB merry-go-round.
29. MIN - Petrus, G, Arkansas
Help is needed up the middle and this guy looks like a smaller Iupati.
30. IND - Lane, DE, Murray State
On a defense built around the pass rush, you need good backups. Lane provides a different look with his size, and he is not much bigger than Brock.
31. NO - McCoy, QB, Texas
Fits the NO system, and a good backup is needed for this team.
1. STL - Muckelroy, LB, Texas
Fills a need with a good athlete.
2. DET - Devine, RB, West Virginia
This could probably hold off until the 5th, but I wanted to get Detroit a good turf RB. There is also talent here at WR and DE.
3. TB - Young, RT, Notre Dame
A risk/reward player, but Youngblood was ugly last year.
4. KC - Tennant, C/G, Kansas City
Williams was not enough. They need an upgrade in the middle.
5. WAS - Lewis, S, Vanderbilt
Landry is a SS.
6. SEA - Tate, RB, Auburn
A partner for Forsett that does everything well.
7. CLE - Misi, OLB, Utah
Fans will probably want a CB by now. I went OLB because I think the talent is better than at CB here.
8. OAK - Watson, LB, Florida State
A fast LB for Al.
9. BUF - Troup, NT, Central Florida
Solves the problem of trying out Stroud and Williams for the nose spot.
10. CHI - Asante, S, Nebraska
I don't have any strong feelings for Chicago here. Pretend I picked whoever you wanted.
11. JAC - Walton, C, Baylor
Completes the o-line retool. Jones-Drew will get big holes this year.
12. MIA - Alexander, WR, Missouri
Another 4th round WR for Miami, a big target Henne can't miss.
13. TEN - Olsen, C, Notre Dame
Mawae will probably retire before 50. Probably.
14. CAR - Decker, WR, Minnesota
A replacement for Muhammad.
15. SF - Selvie, OLB, South Florida
Like Cleveland, I might have gone CB if the talent level was here. SF has good OLBs, but are hoping for a 10+sack guy.
16. DEN - Wootton, DE, Northwestern
A value pick that further upgrades the d-line. Also thinking about Pike here. Or an ILB.
17. NYG - Lang, DE, Troy
This is a no to Veldheer, and a warning to the DEs to produce.
18. PIT - Carrington, DE, Arkansas State
The whole Pitt d-line is aging, expect a NT next pick. A RB at some point also.
19. ATL - Wilson, DE, East Carolina
Has talent, needs coaching, a perfect fit at left end.
20. HOU - Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech
A plug for the middle.
21. NE - Gerhart, RB, Stanford
Two RBs! A good complement to Best, smart player for a smart team. Or this could be a CB.
22. CIN - Wright, S, Florida
A safety with a little more speed to help deep.
23. PHI - Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
Westbrook's concussions are a concern. Could also be a QB.
24. GB - Murphy, CB, South Florida
Two old corners, two young corners. Also thinking Dixon at RB.
25. BAL - Sheffield, OLB, Troy
The defense is aging and expensive. Reed, Lewis, Pryce, Bannan. But Sheffield is the top talent available here.
26. ARI - Hardman, T, Eastern Kentucky
Arizona needs two new tackles. Brown may get a shot to play at guard. Also thinking CB here.
27. DAL - Veldheer, T, Hillsdale
A replacement to be groomed for Colombo, should learn a lot from another tall guy.
28. SD - Owusu-Ansari, CB, Indiana U. of Pennsylvania
A project to turn into another Cromartie .
29. PHI from NYJ - White, WR, Michigan State
Depth is needed at WR.
30. MIN - Curran, LB, Georgia
A fast LB for a fast defense.
31. IND - Byers, G, USC
I was thinking DT, but they have a lot of young guys at that position. DeVan started 9 games and the fans have had enough. Tough crowd. Then again, the Giants are looking to boot Goff after 5. Good teams want results fast.
32. NO - Coleman, S, Ohio State
Harper and Sharper are free agents (RFA and UFA). While Jenkins could slide over, more help could be needed anyway.