With the handful of recent trades that have gone down, we take a look at the instant reactions from around the community.
Stanley Cup Of Chowder feels that Dennis Seidenberg is going to be an upgrade over the recently traded Derek Morris:
I think Dennis Seidenberg is an upgrade over Derek Morris, especially when you consider that Seidenberg makes $2.25 million compared to Morris’ $3.3 million. He currently leads the NHL with 179 blocked shots. That’s a not of rubber and black and blues. Seidenberg is a guy that can move the puck, but isn’t really an offensive threat. He isn’t a very physical player, but he plays a sound defensive game.
Canes Country has this to say about sending Scott Walker to Washington:
Walker recently had shoulder surgery and had missed the previous 21 games before suiting up in Toronto last night. The Canes are in full blown cost-cutting mode and will save the balance of his 2.5 million dollar salary, as well as Ward’s.
Nucks Misconduct feels that Yan Stasny is a good pickup, but not the splash they were looking for:
- An “honest worker” with his limited ice time
- Cheap ($500,000)
- Can play center or wing
- Comes from a notable hockey family that includes father Peter, uncle Anton or brother Paul
- He’s a combined -20 for his career
- He’s only played in four games this year and his career best is only 34 (last year).
- He’s a reserve forward at best
We will have more reactions as they keep coming.