It's that time of year again. Time that the bad teams have played like bad teams for long enough that they've earned some separation from the good teams. Where there's separation, there's frustration. Where there's frustration, there's blame. And where there's blame, there's scapegoating. When you can't fire all the players, you fire the guy in charge of the players.
We've already heard more than enough speculation concerning the job security of guys like Ken Macha, Jerry Manuel, and Lou Piniella, among others - managers of teams who are playing well below their forecasts. With that in mind, SBN blog Beyond The Box Score asked its panel of experts to predict the next guy to get shown the door. You should check that out to see what some shockingly intelligent and sexually attractive people think about what's to come. And below, I present to you some managerial fun facts you may not have known.
1. The Indians haven't had a manager all season
2. The Marlins are managed by Andre Dawson, and Fredi Gonzalez is a figurehead
3. Joe Girardi lets Derek Jeter manage every fourth inning for funsies
4. Ken Griffey Jr. is the Mariners' first-ever player/coach
5. The Royals never actually let anyone go