The Marquette Golden Eagles aren't an offensive juggernaut by any means, but at least they normally understand that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop. This concept, however, has eluded them in their Sweet 16 game against Carolina.
After Jae Crowder scored on a putback with 12:43 remaining in the first half, Marquette went eight minutes and 47 seconds without scoring a single point. Not just zero field goals, but zero points from anywhere. In the meantime, North Carolina scored 19 straight points to turn a 10-8 deficit into a 27-10 lead. For the half, Marquette has somehow managed to both shoot unbelievably poorly (20 percent) and commit a lot of turnovers (12).
It was an excruciating amount of time between Marquette baskets. So long that the following things happened during that time.
- North Carolina scored 19 points.
- Six different North Carolina players scored those 19 points.
- I ordered pizza, and it arrived.
- I ate the pizza for dinner.
- Brett Kiesel shaved his beard.
- Craig Sager changed his suit.
- Clark Kellogg's career-ending knee injury healed.
- The sun went down in California
- Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Tennessee placed calls to try to pry Buzz Williams away.
- Harrison Barnes declared for the NBA Draft.
- The guy in the Miller Lite commercial decided he should stop hitting off the ladies tee.
- Visigoth Sports Net expanded to Visigoth Sports Net 2 and Visigoth Sports Net Classic.