There are surprising decisions. There are less-than-surprising decisions. And then there is this, from the Star-Telegram:
The Rangers have exercised the $3.25 million option on Colby Lewis for the 2012 season.
Of course they did. Lewis wasn't as good in 2011 as he was in 2010, but he was still a valuable pitcher. At $3.25 million, he's one of the most cost-efficient veteran starting pitchers in baseball. His fly-ball shenanigans might not be the best fit for a place like Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, but his strikeout and walk ratios still indicate that he's a pitcher that every team would want in its rotation, even those spoiled brats in Philadelphia. It was one thing for the Rangers to get Lewis back from Japan, but it was another to have the foresight to add in a cheap option for his third year. Well done, Jon Daniels.
That's just one note from a Jon Daniels press conference, though. Another note from the meeting:
As it was the case last offseason, closer Neftali Feliz is a candidate to move to the starting rotation. This year, however, the Rangers will make that decision before spring training. Daniels believes that’s the best way to approach it this winter.
It begins anew. That's the perfect opportunity to introduce the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game. The rules:
- Take one drink when the Rangers say Feliz will start
- Take one drink when the Rangers say Feliz will close
Simple game. But there are the additional tips and tricks to the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game:
- Sleep with your head to the side so you don't choke on your vomit like Bon Scott
- Keep your clothes on at all times; society frowns upon people who run around wild and shirtless in jeans three sizes too small, like Bon Scott
- Do not drive while playing the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game
- Do not operate heavy machinery while playing the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game
- You may think it is a good idea to call your ex-girlfriend while playing the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game. It is not.
- Do not play the Neftali Feliz Closer-To-Starter Drinking Game in the clubhouse while a game is being played unless there is delicious, greasy fried chicken around to help soak up the alcohol.
An honest consideration for the Feliz situation: Would it be easier on him to shake Game 6 if he were removed from the closer's role and put in the rotation? I'm no psychologist, but it seems like it would be easier on the fans, at least, in the short term.
Simple enough. Also included in the press conference was a note that the Rangers would prefer to have Josh Hamilton play left field next year, which would seemingly take the Rangers out of contention for corner outfielders like Carlos Beltran and Josh Willingham. The Star-Telegram article notes that the Rangers have internal candidates for center, such as Craig Gentry, Leonys Martin, and Julio Borbon.