CompuBox has a preview of Saturday night's HBO pay-per-view main event between Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao. With the two men having fought twice already there was plenty of data for CompuBox to pull from to tell the story of these two men.
Here are a few of the most interesting bits from the preview:
- In the first fight, Marquez landed 158 of 547 (29%-46 thrown per round) to 148 of 639 (23%-53 thrown per round) for Pac.
- In the rematch, Marquez landed 172 of 511 total punches (34%- 43 thrown per round) to 157 of 619 (25%-52 thrown per round) for Manny.
- In both fights combined, Marquez landed more total punches in 12 rounds, to nine for Manny, with three even.
- In between their first fight and rematch, Pacquiao was 7-1, with 5 ko's, while Marquez went 6-1, 2 ko's.
- Since the rematch, Pac is 7-0, 4 ko's - Marquez 5-1, 4 ko's
- Combined records of Pacquiao's opponents since rematch: 271-23-2 (92% win pct.); Marquez's opponents: 195-12-1 (94% win pct.)
It's hard to say what the prior fights mean for this bout, but the success Marquez has had against Pacquiao may do wonders for his confidence heading in.