Ray Allen is the first player to speak on the record about two decertification calls held this week amid the NBA lockout saga. While reports of the calls late Thursday sounded alarms around the league, Allen, who participated in the smaller Tuesday call, tamped those down in a talk with Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.
"I don't know what kind of feedback or backlash came from it, but I didn't think there was a need for anybody to panic whatsoever, either on our side as a players' union or as owners," he said. "I thought the call was strictly [to explore options]."
Allen went on to explain that, at least on Tuesday's call, talk about decertification centered around exactly what it would mean for the players and union.
"We have complete faith in our union to get the job done," Allen said. "I don't know what was said [Thursday] on the call, but I do know from the guys that were on the call [last week], nobody was anxious to pull the trigger, like we've got to decertify now. Most of the guys [asked], 'What exactly would we be doing if we decertified?' I don't think anybody was panicking."