NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock had a conference call with the media today. He had a lot of interesting comments. Some of them you can find after the jump.
Cam Newton: Cam Newton is an unbelievable athlete. You have to have the football IQ to make it work.
Ryan Mallett: I'd be very concerned about taking him in the first round.
Blaine Gabbert: He reminds me of a Bradford, he reminds me of a Matt Ryan.
Jake Locker: That's a really talented kid who has first round potential. He's struggled in the pocket. People are writing him off. I'm not.
Colin Kaepernick: Has a huge arm, is a great athlete, and has a huge frame...He's going to rise a bit. Probably a second round-type guy. There’s just so much work that has to be done with that young man.
Tyrod Taylor: The perception is that he can only be a scrambling quarterback. I think that’s a bit unfair to the kid.
Jacquizz Rodgers: I don't think there's any way he gets out of the 2nd rd. Playmaker with the ability to take it to the house.
Patrick Peterson: He's got a little bit of stiffness to him. Most comfortable in press-man (but) might be best served at safety.
Patrick Peterson: I'm anxious to see what Patrick Peterson looks like. I'm amazed to see that he returns punts for a guy his size.
A.J. Green: This is a guy that fits every offense. A.J. Green is the real deal as a top 10 type of receiver. And I'm not big on WRs in the top 10.
Jon Baldwin: He's an athletic freak. I think he's probably going to put on a show at the combine.
Da'Quan Bowers and his boom or bust potential: You better make sure you're getting what you hope you're getting.
Robert Quinn: I think as this draft moves closer, you're gonna see his name higher and higher. Just ordered a bunch more tape.
Von Miller: Prototype 34 rush linebacker. Amazing ability to bend his body and get to the QB. Tough enough to overcome (size limitations).
Other notes of note:
- He sees Patrick Peterson as a safety later in his NFL career.
- Of everyone he talked about, Mayock seemed the most excited about Jacquizz Rodgers and Patrick Peterson.
- Ricky Stanzi fits Mike Shanahan's scheme.
- He compared Titus Young to DeSean Jackson
- Gabe Carimi doesn't have the speed to play left tackle but could be an All Pro right tackle.
- If Julio Jones is there with the 14th pick, the Rams should run to the podium.
- Considers Brandon Harris a second- or third-round pick.
- He raved about Torrey Smith's vertical route running ability.