The Baltimore Ravens are expected to release RB Willie McGahee at some point this offseason, according to the Baltimore Sun. That news isn't a total shock considering McGahee, who was paid $3.6 million as a backup to Ray Rice last year, has a salary that will pay him $6 million in 2011.
Citing NFL sources, the Baltimore Sun reports that the Ravens made the decision at their most recent roster evaluation but GM Ozzie Newsome didn't confirm the decision.
When asked if the Ravens were going to cut McGahee, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome replied: "I have said there will be no players released before March 3."
When asked if McGahee would be on the Ravens roster before the beginning of next season, Newsome said: "Right now, there are a lot of things that could happen before next season."
The Ravens aren't releasing anyone before March 3rd because that's the date the current labor deal between the NFL owners and players expires. Once that date passes, and until a new CBA is in place, there will be no player movement.
McGahee signed a seven-year contract in 2007 but has since been relegated to a backup role. Not many people thought they would carry him on their roster in 2011 with a high salary so the report isn't surprising.
Check out Baltimore Beatdown to see what Ravens fans are saying.