The Baseball America top 25 college baseball rankings hold relatively steady this week as the top 17 teams in the poll won their series. No. 1 Vanderbilt and No. 2 Virginia in particular had dominant sweeps of struggling conference foes to cap off perfect weeks. The only series losses on the weekend from ranked teams were No. 18 Arizona's loss to No. 23 Oregon State and No. 19 Baylor's loss to Kansas. The status quo may reign this week but a number of top 25 matchups next week will ensure more turbulence in the polls.
On to the college baseball rankings.
1. Vanderbilt - Vandy demolished a free-falling Auburn squad 11-6, 11-2 and 6-2, going the entire weekend without trailing for a single inning. All three Vandy starters failed to throw six full innings, but the bullpen was solid and the offense pounded out 43 hits on the weekend.
2. Virginia - The Commodores had a nice sweep of ACC doormat Virginia Tech this weekend, outscoring the Hokies 37-8. The true story for UVA baseball this week, however, was Will Roberts' perfect game on Tuesday against George Washington. Roberts struck out 10 and only needed 98 pitches to shut down the Colonials.
3. South Carolina - The Gamecocks only scored 11 runs in their weekend sweep of Kentucky but it was more than enough as USC pitchers only gave up five. Michael Roth advanced to 6-1 on the season with a solid outing on Friday, throwing 8 innings while giving up just three hits and a run.
4. Florida - UF completely dominated a struggling Tennessee team this past weekend, giving up three runs while scoring 23. Friday starter Hudson Randall needed only 74 pitches in a complete game shutout (4 H, 4 K). The Gators week was spoiled on Tuesday by a 5-2 loss to Florida State.
5. Arizona State - ASU pitching dominated the Oregon Ducks in this weekend's sweep, giving up just three runs and 18 hits. Sun Devil starters threw all but 4.1 innings and the bullpen gave up just one hit on the weekend. ASU goes on the road this week, playing at Arizona before a road series against Oregon State.
6. Texas A&M - The Aggies took two of three from Kansas State this weekend, continuing their strong Big XII start. The Ags had the nation's top ERA entering the weekend at 1.56 but A&M pitchers were roughed up a tad leading to a 1.94 team ERA exiting the series against KSU.
7. Florida State - FSU took two of three in a road series against Maryland and topped their week off with a 5-2 midweek win over Florida. Sean Gilmartin was his usual dominant self on Friday, although he needed 109 pitches to complete six innings (3 H, 9 Ks).
8. Texas - The Horns swept Missouri this weekend to keep pace with Texas A&M at the top of the Big XII standings. Taylor Jungmann had his roughest outing of the season, needing 107 pitches to get through 6 innings (4 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 Ks) in Friday's come from behind win.
9. Fresno State - The Bulldogs stay in the top 10 despite only taking two of three from the San Francisco Dons. Fresno scored two in the bottom of the 9th in Saturday's 4-3 win and couldn't overcome an early deficit in Sunday's 4-3 loss.
10. Oklahoma - The Sooners dominated Big XII foe Texas Tech this weekend, scoring 29 runs while allowing 7. Michael Rocha through a complete game on Friday, giving up a single earned run and three hits. The schedule is very tough over the next two weeks, with midweek games against Okie State and TCU and road series against Kansas State and Okie State.
11. Stanford - The Cardinal scored 34 runs in this weekend's series win over Washington State, including 22 in Saturday's 22-3 victory. Friday's loss was tough to take, with Stanford entering the 8th up 8-2 and giving up eight runs.
12. Cal State Fullerton - The Titans are on a 12-1 tear since dropping a series to LSU and midweek game to Texas A&M. CSF swept UC Davis this weekend, including shutouts on Friday and Saturday, and beat UCLA 5-3 in a midweek game.
13. California - The Golden Bears beat San Francisco in a midweek game before taking two of three from Southern California. Justin Jones threw a complete game in Saturday's 9-2 victory (7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 12 Ks).
14. Georgia Tech - The Yellow Jackets don't fall despite a midweek loss to Mercer and series victory over Duke. Mark Pope was brilliant again, throwing a complete game to improve to 7-0. Pope gave up just four hits and an earned while walking three and striking out seven.
15. Texas Christian - TCU dropped a midweek game to Stephen F. Austin before sweeping downtrodden Air Force. Matt Purke is slowly working his way back to form, giving a solid performance in a no-decision on Saturday (8 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 6 Ks).
16. North Carolina - The Tar Heels had an impressive series sweep over Clemson to make up for a midweek loss to Charlotte. 3B Colin Moran continued his clutch hitting driving in the game winning run on Sunday to ensure the sweep.
17. LSU - The Tigers took of three from SEC rival Ole Miss but are still just 4-8 over the last 12 games. The Friday and Sunday wins were nice, but the LSU pitchers were embarrassed again at Alex Box in Saturday's 16-3 loss.
18. Southern Mississippi - One of the week's biggest winner, USM jumps here from #22 after a 4-0 week. USM beat Ole Miss in a midweek game before sweeping UCF. The Golden Eagles pounded out 22 hits in Saturday's 13-2 win.
19. Oregon State - The Beavers are the week's other big winner, jumping from #23 to #19 after a series win over Arizona. The road series victory was even more impressive considering OSU dropped Friday's game 18-0 and were able to rebound for wins on Saturday and Sunday.
20. Troy - The Trojans move up one spot on the strength a sweep of Arkansas State. All three games were close fought, however, as Troy had wins of 1-0, 2-1 and 5-3 and entered the 9th on Sunday tied at 3 before scoring the game's final two runs.
21. Alabama - Bama moves up four slots on the strength of a strong series win over Arkansas and despite having just a 3-2 week. The Tide split midweek games with UAB and South Alabama before solid tough 5-3 wins over Arkansas on Friday and Saturday.
22. Arizona - The Bearcats swept New Mexico in a midweek mini series before dropping the weekend series to Oregon State. The weekend's lone highlight was Friday's 18-0 win in which Kurt Heyer pitched a complete game (5 H, 9 K, 126 pitches).
23. Oklahoma State - The Cowboys enter the rankings thanks to a series win over Nebraska and on the strength of last weekend's series victory over Texas. OSU has a midweek game against instate rival Oklahoma before getting BIg XII doormat Missouri at home.
24. UCLA - UCLA stays ranked after a 3-1 week which included a midweek loss to Fullerton and a sweep of PAC-10 doormat Washington. The Bruins gave up only five runs on the weekend, including a complete game on Friday from Gerrit Cole (5 H, 1 ER, 10 K, 116 pitches).
25. Stetson - The Hatters barely hang on in the top 25 despite a 2-2 week which included a midweek loss to UCF and a series win over South Carolina-Upstate. Stetson was shut out on Friday but responded with 19 runs in wins on Saturday and Sunday.