Update: Kyle Busch was late for the pre-race drivers meeting and will have to start from the rear of the field. Sprint Cup testing has gone on all day since 11:00 a.m. in preparation for the first Cup Series race at the 1.5-mile oval and Busch was still testing at the start of the meeting.
SPARTA, Ky. - After three weeks off, it's a rare Thursday night race for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Typically a standalone event, this is the first time that all three national touring series have raced at Kentucky in a single weekend. As such, this race will be blessed by a couple of stars in Kyle Busch (See update) and Elliott Sadler.
Cup and Nationwide regulars Kyle Busch and Elliott Sadler both staked claims on tonight's race qualifying fourth and eighth respectively. Sadler was second-fastest in final practice with Busch not posting a time due to heavily working with his Cup Series team's Kentucky testing effort. It paid off with Busch topping both Cup Series test sessions on Thursday afternoon.
Johnny Sauter enters Kentucky as the point leader having picked up a lot of ground over Cole Whitt three weeks ago at Texas. Whitt's engine failure in the Lone Star State dropped him from -12 back to -20 back - a larger increment due to NASCAR's new points-paying format.
Making matters worse for Whitt is Sauter qualifying on pole for tonight's UNOH 225. Whitt stars fifth, on the outside of row ten.
The biggest threat to win may share the front row with Sauter as Austin Dillon qualified the Childress no. 3 in second with a fast time of 31.140. Dillon was seventh fastest but ran only seven laps in final practice. He's more than ready judging by his prerace expressions.
Defending Series champion Todd Bodine again struggled in qualifying, placing in 20th with a 31.998.
There's a special energy at Kentucky Speedway tonight. Fans are buzzing about their track securing a Cup Series weekend and the anticipation has reached all the way over to the Camping World Truck Series race.
Catch the Camping World Truck Series UNOH 225 on Speed Channel tonight at 8:00 p.m. EST.
Matt Weaver is the senior writer and content editor for NASCAR Ranting and Raving and will be tweeting from Kentucky Speedway all week. Follow him @MattWeaverSBN
See you in the comments section!
Qualifying results can be found after the jump!
1. #13 Johnny Sauter Chevrolet 31.015s (Leader) 174.109mph
2. #3 Austin Dillon Chevrolet 31.140s (-0.125) 173.410mph
3. #8 Nelson Piquet Jr.* Chevrolet 31.170s (-0.155) 173.244mph
4. #2 Elliott Sadler Chevrolet 31.180s (-0.165) 173.188mph
5. #29 Parker Kligerman* Dodge 31.301s (-0.286) 172.518mph
6. #22 Joey Coulter* Chevrolet 31.379s (-0.364) 172.090mph
7. #33 Ron Hornaday Chevrolet 31.408s (-0.393) 171.931mph
8. #18 Kyle Busch Toyota 31.531s (-0.516) 171.260mph
9. #23 Jason White Chevrolet 31.535s (-0.520) 171.238mph
10. #60 Cole Whitt* Chevrolet 31.541s (-0.526) 171.206mph
11. #7 Miguel Paludo* Toyota 31.552s (-0.537) 171.146mph
12. #31 James Buescher Chevrolet 31.571s (-0.556) 171.043mph
13. #32 Steve Arpin Chevrolet 31.683s (-0.668) 170.438mph
14. #62 Brendan Gaughan Toyota 31.708s (-0.693) 170.304mph
15. #88 Matt Crafton Chevrolet 31.723s (-0.708) 170.223mph
16. #5 Travis Kvapil Toyota 31.818s (-0.803) 169.715mph
17. #46 Justin Lofton Toyota 31.883s (-0.868) 169.369mph
18. #81 David Starr Toyota 31.942s (-0.927) 169.056mph
19. #116 John King Toyota 31.992s (-0.977) 168.792mph
20. #30 Todd Bodine Toyota 31.998s (-0.983) 168.761mph
21. #20 Johanna Long* Toyota 31.999s (-0.984) 168.755mph
22. #9 Max Papis Toyota 32.015s (-1.000) 168.671mph
23. #4 Ricky Carmichael Chevrolet 32.073s (-1.058) 168.366mph
24. #15 Josh Richards Toyota 32.076s (-1.061) 168.350mph
25. #17 Timothy Peters Toyota 32.111s (-1.096) 168.167mph
26. #39 Ryan Sieg Chevrolet 32.124s (-1.109) 168.099mph
27. #66 Justin Marks Chevrolet 32.211s (-1.196) 167.645mph
28. #92 Clay Rogers Chevrolet 32.241s (-1.226) 167.489mph
29. #10 Jennifer Jo Cobb Ford 32.333s (-1.318) 167.012mph
30. #99 Charles Vest Ford 32.510s (-1.495) 166.103mph
31. #138 Mike Garvey Chevrolet 32.541s (-1.526) 165.945mph
32. #93 Shane Sieg Chevrolet 32.616s (-1.601) 165.563mph
33. #63 Jack Smith Ford 32.707s (-1.692) 165.102mph
34. #07 Johnny Chapman Chevrolet 33.060s (-2.045) 163.339mph
35. #84 Chris Fontaine Chevrolet 33.077s (-2.062) 163.255mph
36. #57 Norm Benning Chevrolet 33.470s (-2.455) 161.339mph
Did Not Qualify
37. #168 Clay Greenfield Dodge 34.318s (-3.303) 157.352mph