Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards left Watkins Glen on Monday tied atop the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings – though Busch technically leads on a tiebreaker.
The Cup points lead isn't the biggest news these days though. It's all about the Chase and the wild card spot.
Tony Stewart slipped to 10th and Dale Earnhardt Jr. moved up to ninth in points – 36 points inside the Chase – which could cause Junior Nation to breathe a sigh of relief with four races until the Chase cutoff.
Denny Hamlin remained in the No. 2 Wild Card spot despite his scary wreck, thanks to similar misfortune for Paul Menard.
Here's a look at the updated NASCAR Sprint Cup Series standings after Watkins Glen:
- Kyle Busch
- Carl Edwards (tied with Busch in points, but loses out on a tiebreaker)
- Jimmie Johnson -6
- Kevin Harvick -14
- Matt Kenseth -28
- Kurt Busch -40
- Jeff Gordon -52
- Ryan Newman -66 (+52 inside Chase)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (+36 inside Chase)
- Tony Stewart (+25 inside Chase)
- Clint Bowyer (-25 from Chase)
- Denny Hamlin *WILD CARD NO. 2 ... One win...Leads Paul Menard by +27 points* (-33 to top 10)
- Greg Biffle (-49 from Chase)
- Brad Keselowski *WILD CARD NO. 1 ... Two wins*
- Paul Menard *Trails wild card by 27 points OR one win*
- AJ Allmendinger (-60 from Chase ... OR one win and 27 points from wild card)
- Joey Logano (-72 from Chase)
- Mark Martin (-73 from Chase)
- Kasey Kahne (-74 from Chase)
- Juan Pablo Montoya (-82 from Chase)
- Martin Truex Jr.
- Marcos Ambrose (needs another win, top-20 spot to make Chase)
- David Ragan (needs another win, top-20 spot to make Chase)
- Jeff Burton
- Regan Smith (needs another win, top-20 spot to make Chase)
- David Reutimann
- Jamie McMurray
- Brian Vickers
- Bobby Labonte
- David Gilliland