Pocono Raceway Weather Forecast: Can NASCAR Avoid a Rain Out?

Conditions in Long Pond, PA: Click here for Current Weather ConditionsLook at Doppler Radar | Mobile Friendly Site | Mobile Radar

The question everyone wants to know, "Will we be racing Sunday or will it be Monday?" Rain is definitely a threat and I don't think there are a lot of windows, I hope I am wrong and we see a full race with perfect weather but here is why I am not real confident that we get a full race in on Sunday.

Attached you will find print outs from two computer models I use when I put together a weather forecast. Model #1 is more aggressive with the rain as you can see more of the darker shades which indicated heavier and steadier rain for Sunday afternoon around 2pm.


Model #2 doesn't have heavy rain but it is still not what you want to see as you go into the afternoon. I can tell you that both of these models keep rain around eastern Pennsylvania until evening. 


After looking over the date and reviewing radar data from overnight I think we have at best a 40% chance of getting a whole race in. The problem with rain Sunday morning into Sunday afternoon is it will come in small waves and timing these waves are tough. 

Eastern Pennsylvania is in a warm moist airmass thanks to a passing warm from Saturday night, this provides enough "juice" for storms and showers to form and keep them from dying out. Also a cold front is expected to cross the area late Sunday afternoon and evening. This boundary could spark showers and storms out ahead of the front. 

I can't and won't tell someone whether or not they should or shouldn't go to a race. My job is to give people the best information so they can make the decision that is right for them. I will say this, if you go tomorrow be prepared for rain at some point and also know that the race could be delayed, postpone or shorten. 

9:00 a.m EDT
Truck  Race – Showers and storms likely - temp: 72
1:00 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup Race – Mostly cloudy, possible shower or storm - temp: 78

MONDAY: (Just in case the race is postponed or moved to the next day)
12:00 p.m EDT
Possible Sprint Cup Race – Partly Sunny, isolated threat of showers, looks mostly dry - temp: 78

Please follow me on Twitter @NASCAR_WXMAN for the latest race weather updates and information. Also visit my main weather page.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.