Brad Keselowski's Pocono victory on Sunday was a massive step forward in securing a potential wild card berth in NASCAR's Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Keselowski's win was his second of the season, which is more than any other driver from 11th to 20th in points. That means Keselowski now holds the No. 1 wild card spot and is almost assured of making the Chase as long as he can remain in the top 20 over the next five races.
Denny Hamlin (11th in points, one win) remains in the other wild card spot. Paul Menard (14th) will need to catch Hamlin or win again in order to make the Chase.
Carl Edwards remained the Sprint Cup Series points leader with Jimmie Johnson in second – nine points behind.
Here's a look at the updated NASCAR Sprint Cup Series standings after Pocono (with each driver's best shot at making the Chase):
- Carl Edwards
- Jimmie Johnson -9
- Kyle Busch -11
- Kurt Busch -14
- Kevin Harvick -20
- Matt Kenseth -26
- Jeff Gordon -+50 inside Chase
- Ryan Newman +40 inside Chase
- Tony Stewart +24 inside Chase
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. +23 inside Chase
- Denny Hamlin -23 from Chase (Holds Wild Card No. 2 ... one win)
- Clint Bowyer -41 from Chase
- Greg Biffle -44 from Chase
- Paul Menard -54 from Chase, -31 from Wild Card No. 2
- Mark Martin -74 from Chase
- Kasey Kahne -74 from Chase
- AJ Allmendinger -79 from Chase
- Brad Keselowski +19 inside top 20 (Holds Wild Card No. 1 ... two wins)
- David Ragan -64 from Wild Card No. 2
- Joey Logano -93 from Chase
- Juan Pablo Montoya
- Martin Truex Jr.
- Marcos Ambrose
- Jeff Burton
- David Reutimann
- Regan Smith
- Jamie McMurray
- Brian Vickers
- Bobby Labonte
- David Gilliland