The first two picks in the 2012 NFL Draft went according to script, and there wasn't anything shocking about the first trade of the night, which ensured that the Cleveland Browns would get Trent Richardson, leaving the Minnesota Vikings to select Matt Kalil. Little did anyone know when the Vikings and Browns swapped picks before the start of the first round that it would be the first of eight first-round trades.
Bill Belichick is known for trading down and hoarding picks, but he was the biggest mover on Friday night, trading up twice to solidify his defense with ILB Dont'a Hightower and DE/OLB Chandler Jones. The Dallas Cowboys also made a big move, sending their second round pick to the St. Louis Rams in order to move up from No. 14 to No. 6 so that they could select LSU CB Morris Claiborne.
The Seattle Seahawks, who traded down when the Eagles offered two picks to move up and select Fletcher Cox, made what was widely regarded as the biggest reach of the night with their selection of West Virginia OLB/DE Bruce Irvin. Though Irvin is a physical freak, he's thought of as a pure pass rusher who won't offer much else, and he was recently cited for misdemeanor destruction of property.
Here's a full list of Round 1 picks in the 2012 NFL Draft.
3. Cleveland Browns (from Minnesota) - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
4. Minnesota Vikings (from Cleveland) - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
6. Dallas Cowboys (from Washington via St. Louis) - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
14. St. Louis Rams (from Dallas) - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
15. Seattle Seahawks (from Philadelphia) - Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia
22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta) - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
25. New England Patriots (from Denver) - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
27. Cincinnati Bengals (from New Orleans via New England) - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from New England, via Denver) - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State