Reds fans react to stunning Game 5 loss

The Cincinnati Reds had a commanding two-game advantage over the San Francisco Giants in their National League Division Series matchup, but the Giants made an improbable comeback and ended the Reds' season on Thursday. Reds fans ran the gamut of emotions, from shock to anger to resignation. Well, they ran the gamut of negative emotions, anyway. Here is a sample, courtesy of SB Nation's Reds affiliate, Red Reporter:

Ok, I've decided how to feel

I’m going to finish up my day at work. I’m going to put on my Reds jersey and take the bus home. And I’m going to be very quiet. It was a great season, with a hurtful finish. Still proud of the team, and we’ll see what next season brings.

Unless the Cardinals win again, because in that case, fuck baseball.

by Brendanukkah on Oct 11, 2012 5:11 PM EDT reply actions 2 recs

Well, I just had a good cry.

First time baseball’s done that to me since ‘99. But I’m honestly not all sad. I’m so proud of this team for so many things, including in this game. No one can ever take games 1 and 2 away from me. And the season was the best of my lifetime.

by the finest muffins on Oct 11, 2012 5:14 PM EDT reply actions

Well said

And think about how much shorter this offseason will feel than last year.

by ams78 on Oct 11, 2012 5:16 PM EDT up reply actions

I hope so

Last off season felt loooong

"I sure as hell want them to know we appreciate everything we do" ~KMiB

by angeeh on Oct 11, 2012 5:20 PM EDT up reply actions

I'm going to go ahead and say it.

I only like historic collapses when it happens to a team that I don’t like.

by Im_a_fun_haver on Oct 11, 2012 5:35 PM EDT reply actions

If anyone can remember?

Is this kinda how it was in the early 1970’s?

by Im_a_fun_haver on Oct 11, 2012 5:52 PM EDT reply actions

They won playoff series’s and appeared in 2 WS’s. Sorta of a poor mans version

by John Prentice on Oct 11, 2012 5:53 PM EDT up reply actions

Yeah.

I think we’ll take a couple failed WS trips right now.

by KSE on Oct 11, 2012 5:53 PM EDT up reply actions

Yeah, lets don’t turn into the 10’s version of the 00’s A’s.

by John Prentice on Oct 11, 2012 5:57 PM EDT up reply actions

Well, guys and gals

It was a wondrous season in so many ways. I wanted to say thanks to you all. I got diagnosed with Parkinson’s in April. My world crashed into a dark black pit of depression for about a month. This site, with all the great, witty and wise characters here, really helped me pull out of that spiral. I came here most every day, usually multiple times, and it never failed to cheer me up, make me laugh.That, and a fantastic run by my beloved Reds. That run after the ASG was about as good it gets in this game. It’s too bad we couldn’t take that far into the playoffs, but I am thankful for this season anyway.

Thanks again – it’s been a great year.

"Premier purveyor of piquant pithy poppycock"

by Unmitigated Audacity on Oct 11, 2012 5:54 PM EDT reply actions 7 recs

X

forgot?

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.