For the first time in its 42-year history, the New York City Marathon will not be run Sunday, as mayor Michael Bloomberg and the New York Road Runners decided on Friday to cancel the annual event.
According to the New York Road Runners, which organizes the annual event, the race was postponed due to an "apparent widespread perception" it was diverting resources from the recovery effort from Hurricane Sandy, which continues to cripple the city's five boroughs after making landfall earlier in the week.
There's has been no word on if or when the New York City Marathon, the world's largest, will be rescheduled. The New York Road Runners says on its official website it will have additional information about the marathon in the days ahead.
On Saturday, New York Road Runners president Mary Wittenberg said registered runners would be guaranteed a slot in next year's race or in the 2013 NY Half Marathon, which will be run March 17. According to reports, more than 47,000 people signed up for this year's race.