The above image depicts the real, actual, front page banner headline on MLB.com immediately following the massive trade that sent reigning Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey to the Toronto Blue Jays. It, uh ... probably could have been better.
Big news has a tendency to make major news outlets start screaming "GET THEE TO A PUNNERY" but this is setting the bar awful low for awful headlines.
Since we're longtime fans of corny headlines, we thought we'd compile a short list of what they COULD have gone with, instead of what they ACTUALLY went with. Strap in, everyone.
- MAYBE I'M A-JAYS-ED
- CY OF RELIEF! BLUE JAYS LAND STARTING PITCHER
- METS CALL THE WHOLE THING ... ON
- BLUE GROUP GETS THEIR MAN
- JAYS GET YOUNG'ER
- R.A. OF HOPE IN TORONTO
- BUY LOW, SELL CY
- THIS MEANS AWARD! (-WINNER HAS BEEN TRADED)
- A TRADE'ER TO HIS COUNTRY
- BLUE JAYS R.A. TEAM THAT HAS COMPLETED A TRADE