Avery Johnson was fired as the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets last week. On Sunday, we have some extra info on the specific timing of that firing.
And some extra bonus special extra context:
Prokhorov waited a week so he could fire Avery on Avery's wife's birthday and before the team played the Bobcats. Pretty ruthless.— netw3rk (@netw3rk) December 29, 2012
If there was any doubt that Mikhail Prokhorov wasn't a Red Heat-style, Vladimir Putin-judoing-the-shit-out-of-you villain, this pretty much removes all doubt.
Here are some things that Prokhorov considered doing, but decided against:
- Making Johnson dress up like Mike D'Antoni and firing him, center-court, at halftime of Nets-Knicks
- Firing Johnson while his wife, children and parents watched
- Throwing Johnson into a shark tank and firing him while making shark-themed puns
- Tricking Johnson into getting on a rocket, then locking the door and launching the rocket into the sun
- Attaching a bomb to Johnson's neck that will explode if Johnson travels at slower than 55 mph
- Sending Johnson on "holiday" to Bruges with Jeff Van Gundy
- Basically the entirety of the movie Se7en
- Boxing Johnson's best friend to death
- Just a good old-fashioned garroting