"Danny Watkins is an exceptional human being."
Watkins first became a firefighter when he was just 16, in West Kelowna, British Columbia, and let that passion take him to Butte College, where he studied fire sciences. Eventually the football coaches got a hold of his 6'3, 310-pound frame and, at the age of 22, he was playing college football. Watkins transferred to Baylor in 2009 and was drafted by Philly in 2011.
Now with the Eagles, he hasn't forgotten his roots, partnering with the Philadelphia Fire Department and volunteering at many of its functions.
More episodes of "In The Zone" with Dhani Jones:
- The good, bad and ugly of Glascott's
- Taking a ride in the Fanbulance
- Dane Sanzenbacher interview
- Andrew Hawkins' long road to the NFL
- The Bengal Bomb Squad
- Encouraging kids with Bengals' Vincent Rey
- Mark Herzlich's amazing journey
- Steve Weatherford, a punter who makes his own luck
- "In the Zone" goes to the barbershop