Ok fans, I'm running through a 4 round mock for the first time. There will be moves and trades I'm sure some won't like, but I'll give reasons for those trades. I'll give some reasoning for 1st round picks only... I'm always open for feedback. See below each round for the trade details. Here we go.
1) Colts - Andrew Luck - QB - Stanford
2) Redskins (from Rams) - Robert Griffin III - QB - Baylor - He won't be there at 6, Tannehill is a reach at 6 and can't see that happening... I do see the Redskins making a big push for Kyle Orton, and this only happens if he signs elsewhere.
4) Browns - Trent Richardson - RB - Alabama - This was a tough call, I almost put Blackmon here, WR is a glaring need, but WR is deep in this class and can address that later. Hardesty can't stay healthy and Hillis may or may not be back.
5) Bucs - Morris Claiborne - CB - LSU - The Bucs need 2 CBs, good start with the best in this draft class
6) Rams - Riley Reiff - OT - Iowa - With Kalil off the board, and the Rams still needing ancor at LT, this is a no brainer pick.
7) Jaguars - Quinton Coples - DE - North Carolina - The Jags need a lot of help... you've gotta start somewhere, questions surrounding Coples 'heart' but I think he's fine.
8) Dolphins - Devon Still - DT - Penn State - With the Dolphins switching to a 4-3 they will need a DT, Still is a good run defender that gets you pressure on the QB on passing downs.
9) Panthers - Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB - Alabama - The panthers could go a few ways here, Kirkpatrick or Brockers, but Upshaw is the better player of the 3.
10) Bills - Justin Blackmon - WR - Oklahoma State - I think the Bills sprint up to make this selection. Even if Johnson is retained, they need a second weapon. They have big needs on D as well, but take the BPA to fill a need and Blackmon is it.
11) Chiefs - Jonathan Martin - OT - Stanford - The chiefs are a puzzle to me, they have a few key FAs (Bowe and Carr that they may need to address here, they need a G, so DeCastro could go here too, his buddy Martin is the better player IMO so he's the pick. Maybe they move down, but I think they take BPA
12) Eagles (from Seahawks) - Luke Kuechly - MLB - Boston College - The Eagles need help at LB, 191 tackles shows this guy can get 'er done. It's possible Kuechly is there at 15 and this may not be necessary, but if it doesn't cost much to move up here (it doesn't dont worry Eagles fans) I think they make this move. Seattle 'could' actually make this pick depending on Hawthorne, but I'm betting he's resigned.
13) Cardinals - Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame - Personally I think he's a much better receiver than Jeffery is, and I think he would compliment Fitz perfectly, problem is if the Cards think his off the field issues are in fact behind him... if they think so, this is your pick.
14) Cowboys - Dre Kirkpatrick - CB - Alabama - Kirkpatrick is a solid corner and the Cowboys need a lot of help in their secondary. Dre is the BPA on D, now that they know he smokes pot, he fits perfectly in Dallas.
15) Seahawks - Melvin Ingram - DE - South Carolina - Seattle has a well documented need for a pass rushing DE, if Ingram is in fact here, look for them to take him. More speculation is coming in that Tannehill could be the pick for the Seahawks here again, but my money is on DE.
17) Bengals - Alshon Jeffrey - WR - South Carolina - Green needs help and with Simpson possibly leaving via FA, a solid #2 is needed, (even if Simpson is retained, an upgrade is needed).
18) Chargers - David DeCastro - OG - Stanford - The chargers need LBs, but they can't pass up their need for G in this spot... LB will be addressed later, BPA here.
19) Bears - Kendall Wright - WR - Baylor - There is no questioning the need at WR, Wright is all over the place on draft boards, I've seen him in the top 10 and I've seen him to the 49ers. I see him here. There are questions about his size, but with the kind of QB Cutler is, I think they will work well together. I also see the Bears getting another WR later in the draft to compliment.
20) Titans - Whitney Mercilus - DE - Illinois - OL is a big need too, but hard to pass him up here.
21) Bengals - Alfanzo Dennard - CB - Nebraska - Dennard constantly shut down WRs in college and was avoided in most games. One of the best cover corners in college period. I don't like Jenkins here for his off the field issues - The bengals are trying to clean that up a bit, so why take a guy like him and risk it.
22) Browns - Ryan Tannehill - QB - Texas A&M - If you listen closely you can hear the fans in Cleveland yell 'WHAT!?!' in unison. This is a strong possibility folks, I don't think FO is sold on McCoy. Personally I like him, but Tannehill is better suited to run the Browns offense.
24) Steelers - Donta Hightower - MLB - Alabama - I think Poe could go here, but NT will be addressed later.
25) NY Jets (from Broncos) - Zach Brown - OLB - North Carolina - You could be looking OT here and Adams, but if Brown is here, he's got to be the pick .
26) Texans - Mohamed Sanu - WR - Rutgers - I think Sanu fits well with the Texans, I'm not fully convinced WR goes here, glaring need though.
27) Patriots - Mark Barron - S - Alabama - The Patriots need DE, OLB a bit more, but Barron won't be there at 31 if they try and wait for him.
28) Packers - Nick Perry - OLB/DE - USC - Clay can't do it all by himself, the Packers need another rush LB that can get to into the backfield and cause some pressure and sack the QB. I think Perry is that guy here.
29) Lions (from Ravens) - Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama - The lions are not afraid of his off the field concerns and they really need help on corner.
30) 49ers - Cordy Glenn - OG - Georgia - Most drafters have WR here, but I like Glenn here for 2 reasons, 1) He's an instant upgrade at RG, the biggest hole on the OL. 2) He can play RT if is needed or if the 49ers decide to move Anthony Davis to G. Solid player
31) Patriots - Chase Minnifield - CB - Virginia - This is a very underrated CB and the Patriots could use an upgrade.
32) Giants - Dwayne Allen - TE - Clemson - With Ballards injury and likely out for next season, this decision is an easy one.
That's the 1st round, below see the trades that went down.
Redskins trade #6 overall pick, 2013 1st round pick and 2012 3rd round pick to the Rams for #2 overall pick in 2012.
The Eagles trade 2012 #15 pick and 2012 4th round pick (4th pick in that round) to the Seahawks for the #12 pick.
The Ravens trade #29 pick, 3rd round pick in 2012 for the Lions #23 pick
The NY Jets trade #16 pick to the Broncos for pick #25, a 2012 3rd round pick, and a 2013 3rd round pick.
1) Rams - Rueben Randall - WR - LSU -
2) Colts - Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford -
3) Vikings - Vontaze Burfict - MLB - Arizona State -
4) Bucs - David Wilson - RB - Virginia Tech
5) Browns - Dwight Jones - WR - North Carolina
6) (Trade) Dolphins (from Jags) - Lavonte David - OLB - Nebraska
7) Redskins - Juron Criner - WR - Arizona
8) Carolina - Casey Hayward - CB - Vanderbilt
9) Bills - Ronnell Lewis - OLB - Oklahoma
10) Jags (from Dolphins) - Jayron Hosley - CB - Virginia Tech
11) (Trade) Bears (from Seahawks) - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
12) Chiefs - Brock Osweiler - QB - Arizona State
13) Cowboys - Fletcher Cox - DT - Mississippi State
14) Eagles - Mike Adams - OT - Ohio State
15) NY Jets - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
16) Patriots - Andre Branch - DE - Clemson
17) Chargers - Vinny Curry - OLB/DE - Marshall
18) Seahawks (from Bears) - Lamar Miller - RB - Miami
19) Eagles - Sean Spence - OLB - Miami
20) Titans - Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
21) Bengals - Brandon Washington - G - Miami
22) Lions - Markelle Martin, SS, Oklahoma State
23) Falcons - Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida
24) Steelers - Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
25) Broncos - Chris Polk - RB - Washington
26) Texans - Ben Jones, C, Georgia
27) Saints - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
28) Packers - Doug Martin - RB - Boise State
29) Ravens - Nick Toon - WR - Wisconsin
30) 49ers - Marvin McNutt - WR - Iowa
31) Giants - Kelechi Osemele - OG/T - Iowa State
32) Patriots - Bobby Wagner - OLB - Utah State
Not a lot of movement in the 2nd round, but the 2 trades were:
Jags trade 6th pick to Dolphins for 10th pick and 4th round pick
Seattle trades 11th pick to the Bears for the 18th pick and 3rd round pick (17th pick)
1) Colts - Amini Silatolu - G - Midwestern State
2) Rams - Jonathan Massaquoi - OLB - Troy
3) Vikings - Leonard Johnson - CB - Iowa State
4) Travis Lewis - OLB - Oklahoma
5) Bucs - Brandon Brooks - OG - Miami (Ohio)
6) Rams (from Redskins) - Trumaine Johnson - CB - Montana
7) Jaguars - Tommy Streeter - WR - Miami
8) Bills - Orson Charles - TE - Georgia
9) Dolphins - Kirk Cousins - QB - Michigan State
10) Bears - Bobbie Massi - OT - Mississippi
11) (trade) NY Jets (from Chiefs) - Antonio Allen - S - South Carolina
12) Seahawks - Brandon Weeden - QB - Oklahoma State
13) Eagles - Joe Adams - WR - Arkansas
14) Chiefs - Kendall Reyes - DT - Connecticut
15) --------- Oakland used in suplimental draft -------------
16) Chargers - Audie Cole - ILB - North Carolina State
17) Seahawks (from Bears) - Bruce Irvin - OLB - West Virginia
18) Cardinals - Zebrie Sanders - OT - Florida State
19) Cowboys - Harrison Smith - S - Notre Dame
20) Titans - Michael Brewster - C - Ohio State
21) Bengals - Isaiah Pead - RB - Cincinnati
22) Falcons - Chandler Jones - DE - Syracuse
23) Lions - Cam Johnson - DE - Virginia
24) Steelers - LaMichael James - RB - Oregon
25) (trade) 49ers (from Jets through Broncos) - Brandon Boykin - CB - Georgia
26) Houston - Brandon Thompson - DT - Clemson
27) Saints - Chris Givens - WR - Wake Forest
28) Packers - Jared Crick - DE - Nebraska
29) Lions - (from Ravens) T.Y. Hilton - WR - Florida International
30) Jets (from 49ers) - Cory Harkey - TE - UCLA
31) Patriots - Stephen Hill - WR - Georgia Tech
32) Giants - Bernard Pierce - RB - Temple
Ok, this is getting tough. Going through team needs and pegging right fits for one team is hard enough, doing it for 32 is exhausting... players going to other teams just before another would select him, then taking another position because the BPA is not in that postion... anyway, here are the trades for round 3.
KC trades pick 11 to the NY Jets for pick 14 of 3rd round and a 2012 6th round pick.
Denver trades pick 25 to the 49ers for pick 30 in the 3rd round and their 4th round pick
1) Rams - Shea McClellin - OLB - Boise State
2) Colts - Jamell Fleming - CB - Oklahoma
3) Vikings - Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State
4) Seahawks (from Eagles) - Rishard Matthews - WR - Nevada
5) Browns - Ryan Steed - CB - Furman
6) Redskins - James-Michael Johnson - MLB - Nevada
7) Jaguars - Marvin Jones - WR - California
8) Jaguars (from Dolphins) - Philip Blake - C - Baylor
9) Panthers - Trenton Robinson - S - Michigan State
10) Bills - Josh Norman - CB - Coastal Carolina
11) Seahawks - Jerry Franklin - MLB - Arkansas
12) Chiefs - Ladarius Green - TE - Louisiana-Lafayette
13) NY Jets - Nick Foles - QB - Arizona
14) Redskins - Cliff Harris - CB - Oregon
15) Chargers - Ronnie Hillman - RB - San Diego State
16) Bears - Janzen Jackson - S - McNeese State
17) Cardinals - DeQuan Menzie - CB - Alabama
18) Cowboys - Nigel Bradham - OLB - Florida State
19) (trade) Bills (from Eagles) - Mitchell Schwartz - OT - California
20) Titans - Shaun Prater - CB - Iowa
21) Bengals - Eric Page - WR - Toledo
22) Lions - Brandon Mosley - OT - Auburn
23) Browns - Matt McCants - OT - UAB
24) Steelers - Chandler Harnish - QB - Northern Illinois
25) Broncos - Duke Ihenacho - SS - San Jose State
26) Texans - Jarius Wright - WR - Arkansas
27) Saints - Mike Harris - CB - Florida State
28) Packers - Quentin Saulsberry - C - Mississippi State
29) Bills - Alameda Ta'amu - DT - Washington
30) Broncos - Lucas Nix - G - Pittsburgh
31) Patriots - Mike Martin - DT - Michigan
32) Giants - Dajohn Harris - DT - USC
trades: the Bills traded a 2013 3rd round pick for the Eagles 4th round 2012 pick.
There you have it boys and girls. My first 4 round mock. I'm curious on how fans of various teams think I did. I'm sure there will be some fans that are upset and some fans that are extremely happy... that's how it goes at the real draft too right? Thanks in advance for the feedback. I appreciate it.