Two drivers have stories that we have been following since Daytona. Trevor Bayne and Kenny Wallace are both on the brink of missing races due to sponsorship woes. While they are on the opposite ends of the spectrum in age, both are fan favorite 'oh shucks' kinda guys. Wallace got the bigger name sponsor this week in Mac Tools, but things are still looking grim for the Nationwide Only RAB Racing.
Trevor Bayne's savior goes by the name of Lally Horse Stables. Lally Stables is not making it's NASCAR debut, as they sponsored Clay Greenfield's Truck entry at Daytona last month. James Lally owns the Ocala, FL Horse Stable that trains, boards, and breeds National Winning Race Horses. It may seem a bit odd that a company located in Florida would sponsor a car racing in Tennessee, but think of the press that Lally is getting this week by saving Bayne at least one more week.
Entry List and more after the jump!
|1||01||Mike Wallace||G&K Services||12 Chevy||JD Motorsports|
|2||2||Elliott Sadler||ONE MAIN FINANCIAL||12 Chevy||Richard Childress Racing|
|3||3||Austin Dillon||ADVOCARE||12 Chevy||Richard Childress Racing|
|4||4||Danny Efland||Danny Efland Racing||12 Chevy||JD Motorsports|
|5||5||Dale Earnhardt Jr(i) [PC 3] *||TaxSlayer.com||12 Chevy||JR Motorsports|
|6||6||Ricky Stenhouse Jr||Roush Fenway Racing||12 Ford||Roush Fenway|
|7||7||Danica Patrick||GoDaddy.com||12 Chevy||JR Motorsports|
|8||08||Tim Andrews (S) *||Randy Hill Racing||12 Ford||Hill Motorsports|
|9||09||Kenny Wallace||Mac Tools||12 Toyota||RAB Racing|
|10||10||Jeff Green (S) [PC4] *||TBD||12 Toyota||TriStar Motorsports|
|11||11||Brian Scott||Dollar General||12 Toyota||Joe Gibbs|
|12||12||Sam Hornish Jr||Alliance Truck Parts||12 Dodge||Penske Racing|
|13||14||Eric McClure||Hefty Black Out||12 Toyota||TriStar Motorsports|
|14||15||Jeffrey Earnhardt *||Sam's Club||12 Ford||Rick Ware|
|15||18||Joey Logano(i)||GameStop||12 Toyota||Joe Gibbs|
|16||19||Tayler Malsam||G-Oil||12 Toyota||TriStar Motorsports|
|17||20||Ryan Truex *||Grime Boss||12 Toyota||Joe Gibbs|
|18||22||Brad Keselowski(i) [PC 1]||Discount Tire||12 Dodge||Penske Racing|
|19||23||Jamie Dick||Viva Auto Group||12 Chevy||R3 Motorsports|
|20||24||Benny Gordon *||Kentucky Antler Company||12 Toyota||SC2 Motorsports|
|21||27||J J Yeley(i) *||GCMI||12 Ford||Steve Meehan|
|22||28||Kevin Lepage||TBA||12 Chevy||Jay Robinson|
|23||30||James Buescher(i)||TBA||12 Chevy||Turner Motorsports|
|24||31||Justin Allgaier||Brandt||12 Chevy||Turner Motorsports|
|25||33||Kevin Harvick(i)||ARMOUR||12 Chevy||Richard Childress Racing|
|26||38||Kasey Kahne(i)||Great Clips||12 Chevy||Turner Motorsports|
|27||39||Joey Gase||AJSToyz.com||12 Ford||Go Green Racing|
|28||40||Erik Darnell||Curtis Key Plumbing||12 Chevy||The Motorsports Group|
|29||41||Blake Koch||Rise Up and Register||12 Ford||Rick Ware|
|30||42||Josh Wise(i) (S) *||Curtis Key Plumbing||12 Chevy||The Motorsports Group|
|31||43||Michael Annett||Pilot/Flying J||12 Ford||Richard Petty Motorsports|
|32||44||Mike Bliss *||TBA||12 Toyota||TriStar Motorsports|
|33||46||Chase Miller (S) *||Curtis Key Plumbing||12 Chevy||The Motorsports Group|
|34||47||Scott Speed(i) (S) *||Curtis Key Plumbing||12 Chevy||The Motorsports Group|
|35||50||T J Bell||TBA||12 Chevy||MAKE Motorsports|
|36||51||Jeremy Clements||Clements Automotive||12 Chevy||Jeremy Clements|
|37||52||Tim Schendel||Metro Ministries||12 Chevy||Jimmy Means|
|38||60||Trevor Bayne||Lally Horse Stables||12 Ford||Roush Fenway|
|39||54||Kyle Busch(i) [PC 2] *||Monster Energy||12 Toyota||Kyle Busch|
|40||70||Johanna Long||Foretravel||12 Chevy||ML Motorsports|
|41||73||Derrike Cope (S) *||TBA||12 Chevy||Creation Cope Motorsports|
|42||74||Mike Harmon *||Koma Unwind||12 Chevy||Mike Harmon|
|43||81||Jason Bowles||American Majority||12 Dodge||MacDonald Motorsports|
|44||87||Joe Nemechek||AM/FM Energy||12 Toyota||NEMCO|
|45||88||Cole Whitt||Hendrickcars.com||12 Chevy||JR Motorsports|
|46||89||Morgan Shepherd *||TBA||12 Chevy||Faith Motorsports|
|(S) Known Start and Park|
|(i) Not Running For Title|
|[PC] Past Champion|
|* Must Qualify On Time|
46 teams are entered this week, so three will hit the showers early. Just a few notes:
- #5- Dale Earnhardt Jr will make another start as the third JR Motorsports entry. Earnhardt will make some enemies tonight. Short track racing always brings out the best and worst in people. JR will need to qualify on time unless both Keselowski and Busch make it on time.
- #11- Last week a great run by Brian Scott was undone by a hard wreck. Scott is looking to climb back in the hunt or he may be looking for a new ride next year.
- #15- Jeffrey Earnhardt is back. Earnhardt will be making a start for Rick Ware Racing, a team he left last year in the Truck Series. No one has any clue why Rick Ware keeps taking him back. Jeffrey will have to qualify on time.
- #20- Ryan Truex will have to qualify on time, but it's great to see him back in good equipment this week. Truex is another of Nascar's young stars that are looking for work. Is it too hard for Nascar to make some program where teams get extra monetary support for running a rookie instead of a Cup driver. Looking at you Kasey Kahne and Brad Keselowski. It can't be that hard. Take one of your "Official Nascar Sponsors" that you take from teams and get them to sponsor a Rookie Movement program that rewards teams for running guys like Ryan Truex, Trevor Bayne and Josh Wise without start and parking. Can you hear me Nascar?
- #28- Speaking of teams that seem to hate Rookies, Jay Robinson dug up Kevin Lepage's dead career for another start in a team that will probably be closed before next years Bristol race.
- #30- James Buescher. Racing again. I can only assume that next year when the trucks actually start racing again that he will return to his own series. I have nothing against our Daytona Winner, just seems odd that he and Kasey Kahne are still kicking around this team instead of Turner running someone full time to help Justin Allgaier.
- #42- I really hate "The Motorsports Group". They are the worst team I have ever seen. All that talent and it is wasted by parking three team every week. They are the opposite of TriStar, which has three teams run the race and one park. I hate it, but I'd rather see it then three teams parking. You doing the math? Three teams go home. So what's the chance that it is the three TMG cars and not three teams trying to run up front for an entire race?
- #54- Things have been rough for Rowdy Busch. They have been even rougher on my blood pressure every time I hear him called "Wild Thing" by DW. Are you kidding me? The guy has Rowdy written on his car. Why are you coming up with an even more generic nickname for someone who already has a perfectly good one? You want to know why sponsors don't want to join Nascar? It's DW. But not just him. We have the most technologically advanced race cars out there, and all I hear on broadcasts is how pretty Danica Patrick is or how Dale Jr has a more fire then a corn snake trying to catch a jack rabbit. It's time to move past our "Redneck roots" and let's stop being the joke of the Sports world.
Saturday. March 17th. ESPN. Mark it down, DVR it, get your friends together for some good old fashioned short track racing. Bristol Motor Speedway. One of the most exciting races of the year is coming this weekend. I hope you can make time to watch it. If you can, make sure you have a TV and a computer in close distance. Because we here at Nascar Ranting and Raving do a little thing called an Open Race Thread. That's where fans across the country get together to complain about how often ESPN shows Danica Patrick. Get your voice out there folks. Enjoy!