On Wednesday, Chris Carpenter, who had been sent to the Red Sox as compensation for the Cubs’ signing Theo Epstein as President of Baseball Operations, underwent elbow surgery for bone spurs. The Cubs had also sent minor league reliever Aaron Kurcz to Boston for a PTBNL, in order to make this a player trade. On Thursday, the Cubs received 19-year-old first baseman Jair Bogaerts to complete the deal.
Or so you’d think. Red Sox management is apparently upset about the Carpenter surgery and is "weighing options":
The club is weighing its options about what to do next, said the source. This raises the specter that the Red Sox believe the possibility exists that Carpenter was injured when he was traded to them on Feb. 21. A baseball source indicated that the teams agree that that there was no intent or prior knowledge by the Cubs that misled the Red Sox about Carpenter’s condition.
So even though there was no "prior knowledge" from the Cubs regarding Carpenter, and even though:
Carpenter, said the source, passed the Cubs’ spring training entrance physical, pitched fine early in Cubs camp before the trade, his medical records passed the Red Sox’ medical review and he passed their entrance physical as well.
… the Red Sox are apparently thinking about reopening this case. It might never end.
From Carpenter’s point of view, he’s moving on after successful surgery:
Surgery went great, time to relax for the rest of the day.. I appreciate all the support from everyone. #redsoxnation
— Chris Carpenter (@CCarp37) March 29, 2012
The Red Sox should probably do the same.