I have done a few scouting reports now and have over 200 players on my big board and now I am going to rank the top teams in the nation next year simply by looking at their draft prospects. Let me know who you think I left out. Some notable ommisions are Oklahoma and Michigan State. I am not as high on Landry Jones and Tom Wort as others and for Michigan State, I think Kiper has Adams over-rated. I have him as more of a 2nd rounder. Oklahoma would probably be #12 on my list and Michigan State would be #13.
1. Alabama - Top Draft Prospects: D.J. Fluker, Barrett Jones, Dee Milliner, Nico Johnson, C.J. Mosley, Jesse Williams, Robert Lester, Jarrick Williams, Michael Williams, Chance Warmack, Eddie Lacy, A.J. McCarron
- Alabama is loaded in the trenches with three early round offensive linemen and an early round defensive linemen. Johnson and Mosley give them two stud linebackers and the secondary is stacked with three possible early round picks. The offensive backfield is talented and young.
See the rest of the rankings after the jump
2. LSU - Top Draft Prospects: Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery, Tharold Simon, Tyrann Mathieu, Bennie Logan, Eric Reid, Zach Mettenberger, Spencer Ware, J.C. Copeland, Chris Faulk, Alex Hurst
- LSU’s strengths are at DL and in the secondary. The DL starts with Mingo and Montgomery, two potential top 10 picks, and also includes a possible first round pick in Bennie Logan. The secondary has two possible first round picks in Simon and Mathieu and a possible second rounder in Eric Reid. Faulk and Hurst are two road graders on the offensive line.
- USC is only five deep in draft prospects for next year but they are a special five. Barkley is the favorite to go #1 and Woods is considered a top 5 prospect. McDonald is the best safety in the draft next year and a possible top 10 pick. Holmes and Horton are both late first round to early second round picks.
- FSU is stacked with prospects. There strengths are at DL and in the secondary. Jenkins and Werner are both late first round prospects while Reid and Joyner are two of the top safeties in the draft. Rhodes is a possible top 10 pick. Manuel is a QB with massive upside.
- Tennessee features a potential top 5 pick in Tyler Bray and two first round WRs in Rogers and Hunter. There is not a lot of depth here but the top of the class is great.
- I really love the Georgia talent. Jarvis Jones is the best OLB in the draft and a top 5 pick. Murray, Rambo, and Geathers are all possible first round picks while Jenkins and King could go in round 2. I almost put them at #5.
- Arkansas has a class with the possible #1 pick in Wilson and two possible first rounders to pair with him on offense in Hamilton and Davis. Highsmith and Bailey should be drafted on Day 2.
- The Longhorns class features two potential first round picks in Okafor and Jeffcoat. Vaccaro and Byndom both have first round upside and look like probable day 2 picks.
- This class has a stud in Jelani Jenkins and a bunch of possible day 2 picks. Easley and Floyd are two DTs that could go on Day 2 as could Elam and Nixon.
- This class has a ton of Day 2 talent but no clear 1st round talent. Every player listed here could be a day 2 pick but I don’t see the upside in this class that some of the classes above have.
- This class has an absolute stud in Hankins, a possible top 5 pick, but not much talent after that. Simon is a possible Day 2 pick at DT and Stoneburner a possible Day 3 pick at TE.