6'3, 320 pounds | Defensive tackle | North Carolina
First word: When defensive tackle Sylvester Williams arrived at North Carolina, he was surrounded by hype. Coming out of junior college, he was billed a big-bodied athlete on the inside who could play the run and shoot gaps. He fared pretty well in his first season of top-level college football, finishing with 54 tackles, seven tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, five quarterback hurries and three pass breakups. He wasn't quite the dominant force, but he should take the next step during his senior season.
As a prospect, Williams is pretty raw. He only played on year of high school football and almost decided to not play football. Instead, he ended up at a truck manufacturer before going to Coffeyville Community College. Was kicked out of high school for missing too many days as a sophomore. Named to the Lombardi Trophy watch list.
Games watched (all 2011): Missouri, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech
- Has an NFL-size frame at 320 pounds and the strength to hold up in the middle. North Carolina shifted from a 3-4 to a 4-3 set often last season and Williams was always in the middle. Due to his strength in one-on-one situations, Williams was often double teamed in 2011.
- Plays with a good motor and is still hustling late in the game. Even with his size, Williams doesn't appear to have stamina issues.
- Displays good lateral movement to work down the line in the run game.
- Williams has good foot quickness, especially when he's asked to shoot the gap and get after the passer. Has a good swim move. Gets off the line smoothly.
- Is regarded as having a strong work ethic.
- Is somewhat behind in his development and it often shows in his handwork. Has to work to keep his pad level lower. Often let linemen get under his pads.
- Williams is more the type of defensive lineman who maintains the line of scrimmage. He doesn't always get a good push to collapse the pocket. That's partially due to the extra blockers he often sees, though.
- Isn't particularly sudden when trying to disengage from blockers.