One of the top linebackers available this spring at the 2013 NFL Draft is Kansas State standout Arthur Brown. A 6'4, 228-pound senior out of Wichita, Kan., he projects to be a solid linebacker in a 4-3 scheme for years to come. He is the brother of Eagles running back Bryce Brown.
Here is a look at what Brown does well, and what he will need to improve on as a professional.
- It seems just about every scout says he has a great motor. Whether he is in pursuit of the quarterback or tracking down a playmaker, Brown always seems to be around the ball and giving everything he has on every play.
- You can't teach hustle and effort, and Brown gives plenty of both. He also became a locker room leader with the Wildcats as a senior. That's something many executives look at when considering a prospect.
- Brown is a very solid, reliable tackler on tape. He is as good as they come at reading plays. Other than maybe Manti Te'o, no other linebackers in this year's class have a higher football IQ.
- Brown is one of the quicker linebackers available in the early rounds. His recorded 40-yard dash prior to this past season at KSU was 4.55 seconds.
- The biggest knock on Brown is that he may be without a true position. He doesn't quite have the size to be a middle linebacker unless he beefs up in a hurry. He also could stand to improve his pass coverage, especially if he lands in a 4-3 scheme.
MLB1. Arthur Brown, KSU - Brown is small but only on the roster. He plays big. Equally strong against the run and pass. #BurnsBoard— Matthew Fairburn (@MatthewFairburn) January 25, 2013
1.) Arthur Brown - #KansasState - Rangy, athletic backer shines in coverage and vs. the run. Could project at either ILB/OLB. 1st Round— Ryan Lownes (@ryanlownes) January 25, 2013
Oh, and people are loving Arthur Brown. Could get into 1st round. #KState— BJ Kissel (@bkissel7) January 25, 2013
Here is some video of Brown in action, courtesy of DraftBreakdown.com.
For a complete look at SB Nation's Big Board, click here. They have Brown at No. 11 overall.
For continued updates on the 2013 NFL Draft, be sure to check out Mocking The Draft.