That's probably a formerly live badger on a football fan's head. Carry on, Rose Bowl.
After a roundtable among SB Nation's department of wildlife and fisheries, we've concluded the following about this Wisconsin football enthusiast:
1. That badger pelt is real, and we believe this primarily because it looks awful.
2. That awful badger pelt might be real, but might also be a skunk.
3. When trying to ID a fan in a badger hat in a crowd, the descriptor "Mid-40s bearded white male drinking beer from a plastic cup" still accounts for 80 percent of the state of Wisconsin.
4. There is such a practice as "rogue taxidermy' in neighboring Minnesota. This is a practice in which fictitious animals (unicorns, griffins, Virginia Tech Hokies) are created from real ones. This Badger fan would qualify as such a creation, because this fan in question seems so remarkably SEC-ish, and this is the B1G ROSE BOWL B1G.
5. Today is not the day to pick on the B1G, because ugh, fussy midwest:
Montee Ball will go down as one of the least nationally-appreciated players in major college football history— Mike Hall (@BTNMikeHall) January 1, 2013
6. Northwestern seems pretty cool.