The Premier League big guns mostly made it through to the 5th round of the FA Cup, although there were a few surprises -- non-league Luton Town pulled off a shock at Carrow Road thanks to Scott Rendell's 80th minute strike and Queens Park Rangers were utterly humiliated at home by MK Dons, who raced out to a 4-0 lead within an hour before eventually winning 4-2.
In the early match, Manchester City managed to beat Stoke at the Britannia Stadium via a late goal from Pablo Zabaleta, although they lost captain Vincent Kompany to an apparent knee injury in the process in a match that also saw an absolutely shocking tackle by Glenn Whelan on Javi Garcia that Howard Webb contrived to completely ignore.
Elsewhere, both Everton and Arsenal were largely lucky to escape their matches with wins -- the Toffees were outplayed by Bolton at the Reebok before John Heitenga rescued them with an undeserved injury-time goal, while Arsenal had to rely on a late, deflected strike by Theo Walcott in order to emerge from Brighton with a 3-2 win.
There was drama elsewhere as Middlesbrough managed to score what seemed like a late winner against Aldershot Town only to see it cancelled out by a 89th minute goal by Daniel Hylton, which looked to have earned a replay until Middlesbrough once again went ahead in the 96th minute.
- Stoke City 0-1 Manchester City (Pablo Zabaleta, 85')
- Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Everton (Steven Pienaar, 18'; Marvin Sordell, 27'; John Heitenga, 90')
- Brighton & Hove Albion 2-3 Arsenal (Olivier Giroud, 16', 56'; Ashley Barnes, 33'; Jose Ulloa, 62'; Theo Walcott, 85')
- Derby County 0-3 Blackburn Rovers (Colin Kazim-Richards, 44'; Scott Dann, 66'; Jordan Rhodes, 71')
- Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leicester City (Lee Novak, 74'; Chris Wood, 82')
- Hull City 0-1 Barnsley (Chris Dagnall, 70')
- Macclesfield Town 0-1 Wigan Athletic (Jordi Gomez, 7')
- Middlesbrough 2-1 Aldershot Town (Lukas Jutkiewicz 83', 90'; Daniel Hylton, 89')
- Norwich City 0-1 Luton Town (Scott Rendell, 80')
- Queens Park Rangers 2-4 Milton Keynes Dons (Armand Traore og, 4'; Ryan Lowe, 40'; Ryan Harley, 50'; Darren Potter, 56'; Jay Bothroyd, 83'; Fabio, 90')
- Reading 4-0 Sheffield United (Noel Hunt, 6', 50'; Mikele Leigertwood, 40'; Garath McCleary, 54')