But now let's do something without meat. Because, well ... well, I don't have a good excuse for having something without meat, but it's tasty, OK?
This is a little classier. This is for the green-eaters in your Super Bowl party. This is a cheesy spinach dip presented in sourdough bread bowl.
The best part about this recipe is that you don't have to buy any chips or items to dip into it. When you cut the bread bowl open, you instantly have some bread to dip. Then, when you get low on that, you start ripping off parts of the bread bowl and dipping that when you need to.
Here's the recipe:
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach
- 1 jar of Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2 7 oz Hatch diced green chiles
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 large sourdough bread bowl
Preheat the oven to 450 F. Cut the bread bowl open so you have a nice cavity to put the dip into. Set the top aside. DO NOT THROW OUT. This is crucial. You will regret that decision if you do.
Drain the spinach. Add the spinach to the rest of the ingredients and mix together. It might be easier to mix all the ingredients and then add the spinach.
Put the mix into the bread bowl and put the bread bowl cap/top back on. Wrap the entire bread bowl in tin foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
And you're done.
Here are some things you can do to improve the already awesome recipe:
- Add more cheese (blue cheese would give it some nice stinky-ness to it)
- Add more jalapenos and/or hotter peppers ('cause who doesn't like more heat?)
- Add more cheese (gouda?)
- Change the bread bowl (although sourdough is hands-down the greatest type of bread bowl, if you're not a sourdough fan, feel free to exchange it for another type of bread. You can even make your own bread bowl at home with about three ingredients.)
- Add more cheese (monterey jack? muenster? asiago?! The options are endless.)