It is a scientific fact that nachos and football are made for each other. After all, you can't disagree with our 38th president:
President Ford: Say, Homer, do you like football?
Homer: Do I ever!
President Ford: Do you like nachos?
Homer: Yes, Mr. Ford.
President Ford: Well, why don't you come over and watch the game, and we'll have nachos? And then, some beer.
And since the Super Bowl is better than regular football, you better improve your nacho game by making steak nachos. Making nachos is simpler than you might think, too. Most of the work it is just cutting up a bunch of different ingredients. As with any recipe, if there is something you don't like, just leave it out.
- tortilla chips (if you couldn't figure out this part, stop now, this is too much for you)
- 8 oz. flank steak (it can be bigger if you'd like more steak or more nachos)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 8 oz pinto beans (1/2 of a normal-sized can)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- Pre-heat your grill (or a cast-iron pan if you don't have a grill).
- Rub steak with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Grill steak three to four minutes per side or until medium-rare, then set aside and let rest.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- *In a medium saucepan melt butter at medium heat.
- *Stir in flour, let thicken.
- *Slowly add in chicken stock and mix.
- *Stir in cheese and salsa, continuously mixing until cheese is melted.
- Cut up steak into bite-sized pieces.
- Dice onion, tomatoes, and jalapeno pepper.
- Arrange chips on baking sheet or baking pan.
- Add beans, steak, and most of the cheese sauce.
- Top with onion and jalapenos.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese sauce, tomatoes, and cilantro
*Steps five through eight can be removed if you like and, instead of making a cheese sauce, just spread shredded cheese and salsa all over in its place.
Also, feel free to add guacamole, sour cream, or anything else you like on top at the end.