2013 NASCAR at Bristol Motor Speedway weather forecast: Rain remains a concern

The NASCAR Weatherman, Meteorologist Brian Neudorff, looks to see if rain could be a problem for NASCAR this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway

While Friday's weather forecast for Bristol Motor Speedway looks dry and cool (See details below). The weekend weather forecast for Bristol Motor Speedway has changed very little when it comes to the threat of rain.

A cold front will drop south this weekend and stall across the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys. This boundary will be the focal point for areas of showers to form and move across the region. Just like it was for Daytona, the forecast will depend on the location of the front and where it eventually stalls.

First the good news, some of the computer forecast models I use are showing that the front may stay farther to the north. If this scenario plays out then we should get both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup races in. There could still be a passing shower or two but most of the time looks dry.

The bad news is there is another scenario that is not so promising. This has the front almost right over Bristol Motor Speedway and spreading showers off and on through the entire weekend Saturday through even Monday.

I am going to go somewhere in between with my forecast for this weekend. I think the front stalls close enough that scattered to isolated showers are possible on Saturday for the NASCAR Nationwide race. Should be able to get the race in but there could be a few minor delays thanks to some of these showers.

Sunday's forecast is a little more wet, I see periods of rain off and on through out the day. I think we have a 55 percent chance of getting an official race on Sunday with a 45 percent chance that the race is washed out.

COULD WE SEE A SUNDAY NIGHT RACE? I think the rain chance continue to increase off and on as we go into the evening and overnight. It is definitely an option and knowing NASCAR they will do everything they can to get this race in on Sunday.

WHAT DOES MONDAY'S FORECAST LOOK LIKE? Whenever I have rain in the forecast for Sunday this question is bound to be asked. I hope we get the race in on Sunday because I think the likelihood of racing on Monday is worst than racing on Sunday.

This is a very complicated forecast, I see a lot of scenarios and not a lot of concrete data that swings my opinion either way at this point. If you have tickets and plan on going to the race I'd go but know rain is in the forecast. Also I'd be prepared for delays and long waits if the rain comes in and sticks around. Like any rainy NASCAR weather forecast I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Conditions in Bristol, Tenn.:
Click here for Current Weather ConditionsLook at Doppler Radar | Mobile Friendly Site | Mobile Radar

Race Schedule: All Times Eastern

FRIDAY:
10:30 a.m EDT
Nationwide Series practice – Cool, partly sunny – temp: 43
12:00 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup Series practice – Breezy and partly sunny – temp: 50
2:00 p.m EDT
Nationwide Series final practice – Breezy and partly sunny – temp: 56
3:40 p.m ET
Sprint Cup Qualifying – Breezy and partly sunny – temp: 60

SATURDAY:
9:00 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup Series practice – Cloudy, chance of showers – temp: 50
10:35 p.m EDT
Nationwide Series qualifying – Cloudy, chance of showers – temp: 55
12:00 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup Series final practice – Cloudy, chance of showers – temp: 57
2:00 p.m EDT
Nationwide Series race – Cloudy, chance of showers – temp: 62

SUNDAY:
11 a.m EDT
Sprint Cup pre-race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 49
12 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup pre-race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 50
1 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 52
2 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 53
3 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 54
4 p.m EDT
Sprint Cup race – Cloudy, possible rain showers – temp: 53

Please follow me on Twitter @NASCAR_WXMAN and like me on Facebook for the latest Weather updates through the week.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.