Boston Marathon explosions: Updates from Boston police press conference

USA TODAY Sports

Boston police commissioner Ed Davis discussed the two explosions near the Boston Marathon's finish line in a press conference Monday. He'll address the media again at 7 p.m. ET.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis and Governor Deval Patrick held a press conference at 4:45 p.m. ET from their command center in Boston, clarifying what authorities know about the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The time of the initial two explosions, according to Davis, was 2:50 p.m. ET. The explosions occurred 50 to 100 yards apart. Davis said that both sites caused multiple casualties, although he was not clear about whether he meant multiple injuries or fatalities at each blast site. Davis would not confirm the number of fatalities or injuries, although the police previously confirmed at least two deaths.

Authorities have not found another device that they know to be an explosive but did execute a controlled detention of a suspicious device. There have been numerous reported suspicious parcels along the marathon route that authorities are still investigating. From USA Today:

"After this incident occurred, there were a lot of people running from the scene, a lot of them deposited bags and parcels," Davis said. "Each one is being treated as a suspicious device. At this point, we haven't found any more devices."

Davis refused to call the incident "terrorism" when pressed, but said that people could "draw their own conclusions." Davis also said that authorities had no warning about the incident.

A third explosion occurred at the John F. Kennedy presidential library. Davis couldn't confirm if the incident was connected to the explosions on Boylston Street but indicated that authorities are currently treating the incidents as related. The authorities are also treating this as an ongoing situation and reiterate that the danger has not passed. Davis encouraged people to stay home and not congregate in large areas.

Davis gave out two phone numbers for people to call to help find family members and help authorities determine responsibility for the incident. The phone number to call to get in touch with friends and family is 617-635-4500. Those with information on the incident that could be useful to authorities should call 1-800-494-8477.

Update: Gov. Patrick's statement:

"This is a horrific day in Boston. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured. I have been in touch with the President, Mayor Menino and our public safety leaders. Our focus is on making sure that the area around Copley Square is safe and secured. I am asking everyone to stay away from Copley Square and let the first responders do their jobs."

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.