2013 NASCAR at Darlington Raceway weather forecast: Mother Nature threatens Mother's Weekend

Darlington Raceway 2013 NASCAR weather forecast

The Unofficial NASCAR Weatherman, Meteorologist Brian Neudorff, hopes for a tamer Mother Nature at the track that is "Too Tough To Tame" Darlington Raceway

NASCAR had had managed to avoid major weather delays this season until Talladega where everyone had to wait out a 3 1/2 hour rain delay. Unfortunately, scattered showers and storms are back in the forecast for the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway. I guess it's only fitting to be dealing with Mother Nature on Mother's Day weekend.

While rain chance are in the forecast for today and Saturday, I think the odds of getting rain free racing in is higher than it was last weekend. Today will feature clouds, some sunshine and a very warm afternoon with high of 88 degrees. For the Nationwide race this evening, a slight chance of an isolated shower or storm and temperatures in the low 80s into the upper 70s. Odds of a rain free race 75% or higher.

Cold front approaches South Carolina during the day Saturday and this will increase the threat of showers for Saturday afternoon and Saturday night. While the front is not expected to cross through Darlington, SC until Sunday, scattered to isolated showers and storms are possible out ahead of the approaching cold front.

Forecast for Saturday will feature more clouds during the day and occasional peaks of sunshine. Temperatures in the afternoon will be around 83 degrees with isolated to scattered showers and storms. Saturday night the threat of scattered showers and isolated storms remains but appears to be drier than what we had last weekend at Talladega. Race temperatures will be in the upper 70s into the mid to low 70s by the end of the race.

Probabilities of a rain out are less than 20%, odds of a rain delay or two is around 40%, and the likelihood of seeing a complete rain free race Saturday is around 60%.

Not knowing where showers or storms will pop up over the weekend it will be important to follow me on Twitter @NASCAR_WXMAN and like me on Facebook for the latest weather updates throughout the weekend.

Conditions at Darlington SC:
Click here for Current Weather ConditionsLook at Doppler Radar | Mobile Friendly Site | Mobile Radar

FRIDAY:
8:30 a.m. EDT
Nationwide final practice – Mostly sunny – temp: 67
11:30 a.m. EDT
Sprint Cup practice – Partly sunny – temp: 80
2:15 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup final practice – Partly sunny, chc. of an isolated shower – temp: 87
3:35 p.m. EDT
Nationwide qualifying – Partly sunny, chc. of an isolated shower – temp: 88
5:10 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup practice – Partly sunny, chc. of an isolated shower – temp: 87
7:30 p.m. EDT
Nationwide race – Partly cloudy, chc. of an isolated shower – temp: 81

SATURDAY
5:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Pre-race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 82
6:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 80
7:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 77
8:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 75
9:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 72
10:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 70
11:30 p.m. EDT
Sprint Cup Series Race – Mostly cloudy, chance of sct'd showers & storms – temp: 67

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.