Updated as of 1 p.m. Eastern to reflect Keith Law's most recent mock draft
Eight days ago we updated our consensus mock draft, trying to find some agreement among six different draft sites/experts. Most of those sites/experts have since updated their mock drafts as new rumors and information blew through, so we must adapt to the times.
We have a slight change in the group used to compute the consensus mock with MLB Daily Dish replacing Minor League Ball and the addition of Perfect Game. The best of the rest are: Baseball America's John Manuel, ESPN's Keith Law, MLB.com's Jim Callis, MLB-Draft Insider's Chris Crawford, and Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel.
|1||Astros||Brady Aiken, LHP||15||Angels||Kyle Schwarber, C/1B|
|2||Marlins||Carlos Rodon, LHP||16||DBacks||Tyler Beede, RHP|
|3||White Sox||Tyler Kolek, RHP||17||Royals||Jacob Gatewood, 3B|
|4||Cubs||Michael Conforto, OF||18||Nationals||Erick Fedde, RHP|
|5||Twins||Nick Gordon, SS||19||Reds||Brandon Finnegan, LHP|
|6||Mariners||Alex Jackson, C/OF||20||Rays||Sean Reid-Foley, RHP|
|7||Phillies||Sean Newcomb, LHP||21||Indians||Michael Chavis, 3B|
|8||Rockies||Kyle Freeland, LHP||22||Dodgers||Derek Hill, OF|
|9||Blue Jays||Trea Turner, SS||23||Tigers||Nick Burdi, RHP (RP)|
|10||Mets||Aaron Nola, RHP||24||Pirates||Bradley Zimmer, OF|
|11||Blue Jays||Jeff Hoffman, RHP||25||Athletics||Monte Harrison, OF|
|12||Brewers||Max Pentecost, C||26||Red Sox||A.J. Reed, 1B|
|13||Padres||Touki Toussaint, RHP||27||Cardinals||Luis Ortiz, RHP|
|14||Giants||Grant Holmes, RHP|
- Aiken repeats as the consensus top selection, this time unanimously. He was the only unanimous. selection
- There was no consensus at all for pick 24.
- Pick 7 recently switched from Aaron Nola to Sean Newcomb. This is mostly a reflection of Nola moving up in recent mocks (though still not receiving a consensus anywhere), and Kyle Freeland dropping.
- Pick 10 had consensus on either Newcomb or Conforto, who were both gone in this scenario. Nola is not linked to the Mets at all, but is a consensus top 8 pick despite never receiving a consensus vote. With no consensus for NYM, I slotted him here.
- Pick 14 was split between Derek Hill and Grant Holmes. Holmes was awarded on the basis of the Giants' predilection for arms. It didn't hurt that he shares a name with Grant Brisbee.
- Pick 26 had a consensus of Erick Fedde but he had already been selected in this scenario.
- There is momentum that Kyle Freeland is dropping due to poor medicals. This may be a rumor but is being reflected in updated mocks.
- There is also growing momentum for Max Pentecost to go to Toronto, though the overall consensus has Trea Turner as the pick. The "votes" were 4-3 between the two.