J.J. Mann hit three triples in the final minute-plus as the Belmont Bruins stunned the UNC Tar Heels.
Behind a career-high 28 points from forward J.J. Mann, the Belmont Bruins stunned the No. 12 North Carolina Tar Heels, 83-80, in Chapel Hill.
With 15 seconds left, Mann drained a three off a dribble-handoff atop the key to give Belmont an 81-80 lead:
UNC forward J.P. Tokoto missed a desperate jumper in the final seconds as Roy Williams' team fell to 2-1 on the season.
Belmont won the game from behind the three-point line, going 15-of-37 from deep while UNC attempted only seven three-pointers in the entire game. The Tar Heels were able to attack the rim at will, but they could not convert from the charity stripe, making only 46 percent of their free throws. Tokoto was the primary offender, going 4-of-16 from the line.
North Carolina was without guards P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald, who are under investigation by the NCAA for taking illegal benefits.
James Michael McAdoo led the Tar Heels with 27 points and 13 boards, while Marcus Paige put in 17 points and five assists.
• Who will go No. 1: Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins?
• A night at The Convention with Wiggins, Parker and Randle
• Why the 2013-14 college hoops season will be one of the best ever
• AP names preseason All-Americans | SB Nation's All-Americans
• Andre Dawkins has a story (and he'd rather not talk about it)