Steve Spurrier has had to deal with some issues with South Carolina on the field this year, as the Gamecocks have repeatedly struggled against teams they should beat and the head coach has seemed to fall behind in recruiting.
South Carolina's 2014 class ranks 33rd in the nation, good for a pitiful second-to-last in the SEC (in front of just Missouri).
The Gamecocks' top recruit is Shaq Davidson. The wide receiver from Gaffney (S.C.) High School is considered a four-star prospect by the 247sports composite. He is rated as the 11th-best receiver in the nation and the third-best player in the state.
Another top talent for South Carolina is Bryson Allen-Williams. The outside linebacker from Cedar Grove (Ga.) High School is rated a four-star prospect by the 247sports composite. He is considered the 14th-best outside linebacker in the nation and the 15th-best player in the state.
Kevin Crosby is another big get for Steve Spurrier. The tight end from Bamberg Ehrhardt (S.C.) High School is considered a four-star by the 247sports composite. He is rated as the seventh-best tight end in the country and the seventh-best player in the state.
With just 12 commitments, South Carolina has a lot of room left in the class, but the slow start has to be worrying the Gamecock faithful.
Five most wanted
South Carolina's class is not great right now, but is has five targets who could turn it in to one of its better classes.
- Derrell Scott, running back, Havelock (N.C.): Scott is a scat back with tremednous quickness and moves that remind me a bit of Reggie Bush. He's considered Florida State, N.C. State and Tennessee, but South Carolina is still in great position for the four-star.
- Donnell Stanley, offensive tackle, Latta (S.C.): Stanley is an impressive line prospect who could play guard or tackle. Like with Scott, South Carolina is in very strong position with Stanley.
- Dante Sawyer, outside linebacker/defensive end, Suwanee (Ga.) North Gwinnett: Sawyer is a quick edge rusher who can play in a two or three-point stance. South Carolina is in good position with him over Alabama and Auburn. Sawyer is a consensus four-star recruit.
- Dexter Wideman, defensive line, Saluda (S.C.): Wideman is a Florida State commitment but most expect him to flip back to the Gamecocks, particularly because he has taken more visits there. Wideman also needs to work on his schoolwork to get in to either school.
- Wesley Green, cornerback, Lithonia (Ga.) Martin Luther King Jr.: Green is a favorite of mine because of his excellent quickness and ability to change direction. He is a former South Carolina commitment, who decommitted in September to look around. I think he'll end up back as a Gamecock.