The Tennessee Volunteers host the Auburn Tigers Saturday and will do so in front of a large group of talented recruits. Butch Jones has recruited perhaps as well as any coach in the country during his first year at Tennessee, and the Volunteers are likely bowl bound in his first season.
Could Tennessee spring the home upset? It's possible.
The message for Auburn, then, is simple: tread carefully. In terms of the F/+ rankings, Auburn is, at 22nd, a couple of steps below not only Alabama (first) and Missouri (11th), but also Georgia (14th) and South Carolina (17th). The Tigers are 4-0 in one-possession games, and they are unlikely to falter late, but they can be had if UT quarterback Joshua Dobbs makes smart decisions and the Vols avoid the passing downs upon which Auburn feasts.
Tennessee's home environments this year have been great for recruits, who have been shown lots of love on campus and on social media by a rabid fan base eager to return to the big time. This weekend, the Volunteers will welcome in:
- David Sharpe, a four-star offensive tackle recruit out of Jacksonville (Fla.) Providence School. Sharpe really wants to play basketball in college as well, and is not near the hoops prospect that he is on the gridiron. Tennessee is offering him the chance to play basketball, and he is also interested in Georgia, Florida and Florida State.
- Adoree' Jackson, a five-star cornerback from Gardena, California. Jackson can also play slot receiver and is an awesome athlete. He is originally from Illinois, and is not married to staying on the West Coast. Jackson is also considering Florida and Florida State.
- Abu Lamin, a four-star JUCO defensive lineman committed to South Carolina, will be on Rocky Top as Tennessee tries to flip his commitment.
- Josh Malone, a four-star receiver from Gallatin (Tenn) Station Camp, is very high on Tennessee as well as Georgia and Florida State. He'll be in town.
- Dimarya Mixon, a three-star defensive lineman from West Mesquite (Texas) will also be in town on an official visit.
For more on Tennessee football recruiting, visit Rocky Top Talk.