Daniel Shirey-USA TODAY Sports
Sometimes teams can go a long time without winning their conference. We took a look to see exactly how long it's been for every FBS football program.
We decided to take a look at every FBS football program in the nation and find the last time each won a conference championship. But first, some observations:
- Over 67 percent of all FBS teams have won at least a share of a conference title since the beginning of the BCS era in 1998. This stat includes conference championships won at lower levels prior to coming up to the FBS level.
- Almost 75 percent of all current FBS programs have won at least a share of a conference title in the past 20 years.
- By far, the longest title drought belongs to Iowa State, whose last conference title came in 1912, as a member of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association, the forerunner of the Big Eight.
Note: I included vacated conference titles in the table above. There aren't as many as you would think, and we all remember who really won the games.
More from SB Nation:
• Inside Butch Jones’ Tennessee
• Two words: JurasSEC Park
• DAN ON FIRE: Stop drafting SEC players
• Nebraska’s Jack Hoffman makes the play of 2013?
• MASCOT SMASH
• How’s Auburn Scandal Week holding up?