Seeing as this is the start of the playoffs for many of you, I thought we'd start off with the top five defenses to start this week:
1. San Francisco 49ers - The Niners still have a lot to fight for in regards to playoff position. The pass rush should be able to generate pressure with Jake Long out of the lineup and a weakened offensive line trying to protect Ryan Tannehill. I think the Dolphins offense will struggle to put up any type of consistency all game.
2. Denver Broncos - Denver has been dominating their opponents defensively over the last four weeks and that will continue against a Raiders offensethat has fallen off recently. They have generated fifteen turnovers over the last seven games and that has helped them to score six return touchdowns. As mentioned they face the Raiders and in their first meeting this season, they held them to six points. I can't see Oakland doing much better this time with the injuries they're dealing with on that side of the ball.
3. Seattle Seahawks - Arizona will be starting either Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley or John Skelton at quarterback and that says a lot about the Seahawks defensive opportunities right there. Seattle will be playing at home and that will add to their defensive advantage. I don't think the Cardinalsare going to be able to create much of anything positive on offense.
4. Chicago Bears - Minnesota's offense is almost completely reliant on Adrian Peterson right now. Being so one dimensional plays right into the Bears game plan. Chicago caused three turnovers against the Vikings two weeks ago and I can see them getting at least that many in the rematch.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers - This Steelers defense has not been as reliable as past season but they've been showing more signs of life the past few weeks. With playoff urgency, they have come up big and look to continue that with a matchup against an offense that has been struggling in the Chargers. The San Diego offensive line has been horrible and that will result in plenty of opportunities for the Steelers pass rush.
Let's take a look at the leaders in defensive touchdowns and fantasy scoring through Week 13:
The Jets should continue to have a strong run during the fantasy playoffs and have a very good matchup against the Jaguars this week. The Browns should be able to take advantage of the Chiefs coming down off of that emotional high of last week. The Bengals defense have been super hot as of late and Dallas is due for one of their disappointing turnover filled games. The Cardinals always seem to play Seattle tough but Russell Wilson has been playing very well lately, so this may not be the best matchup for them.
Here are the defenses that have been sacking the quarterback over the last three weeks:
San Francisco - 13
Cincinnati, Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston - 11
Cleveland, San Diego, Miami, Pittsburgh - 9
If you play in a league that rewards teams that allow the least amount of points, here are the top five defenses in points allowed over the last three weeks:
1. NY Giants - 27
2. Cincinnati - 29
3. Seattle - 41
4. San Francisco - 44
5. Baltimore - 46
Here are my rankings for Week 14:
|21||NY Giants||New Orleans|
|30||New Orleans||NY Giants|