Tiger Woods’ run at his eighth win as a professional at Torrey Pines -- and first since his monumental playoff win over Rocco Mediate in the 2008 U.S. Open -- tops the list of storylines for this week's tour stop near Phil Mickelson's San Diego hometown.
Runner-up would be Kyle Stanley’s 72nd-hole meltdown at last year’s contest. Stanley’s triple bogey on his final hole in regulation opened the door for Brandt Snedeker, who, with a win on the second playoff hole, posted his first of two victories in 2012 on his way to earning the FedEx Cup title.
Farmers Insurance Open preview:
- Dates: January 24 - January 27
- Courses: 7,698-yard, par-72 Torrey Pines Golf Course (South) and 7,045-yard, par-72 Torrey Pines North. Participants play both courses Thursday and Friday, with those making the 36-hole cut teeing it up on the South Course over the weekend
- Field: 156 players, including five of the world's top 20
- Defending champion: Brandt Snedeker
- Purse: $6.1 million
- FedEx Cup: Winner receives 500 points
- Format: Four-day, 72-hole stroke play
- Marquee players: Tiger Woods, making his 2013 PGA tour debut after missing the cut last week in Abu Dhabi, and Phil Mickelson head the field. Dustin Johnson comes back after the flu forced him to withdraw from the Sony Open following his win at the season-opening Tournament of Champions. Other A-listers include reigning Masters champ Bubba Watson and Keegan Bradley
- Of note: Tiger Woods (1999) and George Burns (1987) hold the 72-hole course record of 266, while Woods (third round 1999) owns the 18-hole record on the South Course (62), and Mark Brooks (second round 1990) and Snedeker (first round, 2007) posted 61s to record the 18-hole record on Torrey Pines North
- Television (all times ET): Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-7 p.m. (Golf Channel); Saturday, 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS); Sunday, 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (CBS)