With Phil Mickelson winning the British Open, his name was added to the Claret Jug and the engraving was done before the trophy presentation.
Phil Mickelson's dominant final round at Muirfield took a lot of the drama out of the British Open. While his big lead didn't leave much suspense as the leaders finished up, it did allow the engraver to get a head start on adding Mickelson's name to the Claret Jug.
With a long last name like Mickelson, the engraver probably appreciated the extra time.
More golf from SB Nation:
• A confident Lee Westwood
• Mahan in the final group, again | Redemption for Adam Scott?
• Will Tiger’s cautious approach cost him?
• GIFs: Schwartel’s 450-yard drive | Laird’s rough issues
• Final round leaderboard updates and coverage from Muirfield
• A guide to Muirfield | A links course defined