AJ Foyt doesn't want to see the IndyCar Series compete on the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to open the traditional month of May, believing that it may detract from the Indianapolis 500.
A vote on the road race, which would kick-off Indy 500 festivities next season is expected to be held over the next week by the Hulman & Co. board -- parent organization of IndyCar. Should they vote "yes," Foyt (a four-time Indianapolis 500 race winner) worries that a second race would lessen the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.
"In my own opinion, I would hate to see that because the Indianapolis 500 has been like the Kentucky Derby," Foyt said during a Wednesday conference call. "It's a legendary race, and I think it would take a little bit from the 500."
Foyt isn't against the race in general. He would just rather see it contested at some point after the month of May.
"Now after the 500, mid‑year, something like that would probably be fine," Foyt added. "But I'd hate to see it interfere with the Indy 500 a week or two before it opens. I don't think it's a good deal, and that's my personal opinion.
"I know a lot of people probably think it would be good, but I don't think you'd have that many people there. I just think it would take something away from the Indy 500."
Current IndyCar drivers Graham Rahal and Ryan Briscoe conducted a tire test earlier this month on various configurations and a race could be contested running either direction around the 2.6-mile course.
Hulman CEO Mark Miles has said that the Series has a lead on a potential title sponsor and a few track changes would take place if IndyCar gets the green light. The "home" market and fans already in town for the 500 could make the event an even bigger hit.
Do you agree with Foyt or should IndyCar proceed as planned? Tell us in the comments section below.