Via Holly Anderson of Grantland, please enjoy
washing your eyes out with bleach trying to stab yourself in the eardrums with a screwdriver this OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED VIDEO FROM USC. Check out the production values. Check out the editing. THEY PUT TIME AND EFFORT INTO THIS.
Here are some things about this video:
1. A capella is fine. There's nothing wrong with a capella. A capella and rap at the same time, however, need a light and ironic touch. It doesn't need a guy with a flat-brimmed cap askew and sunglasses and a LEATHER JACKET OVER A TROJANS JERSEY jumping around with his buddies earnestly, like that one Onyx video they saw that one time.
2. That chorus/bridge/whatever where lead a capella guy croons like he's in a Color Me Badd gang and the way to get jumped into the gang is you have to roll nine deep and make sex-face to the camera.
3. Too many people making sex-face to the camera for a song that is about I HOPE OUR FOOTBALL TEAM DEFEATS THE OTHER GUYS.
4. The lyrics are really bad but also unintelligible at key moments. Like at around 1:15 in the video. "Let me break it down how it was told to me/ How every Trojan man and woman learns to live successfully"? Is that what he's saying there? There's a difference between hip-hop bombast and whatever the hell you are doing right now, guy whose bangs are visible while you're wearing a baseball cap.
5. What are those people on the concourse walking the other way thinking when this is going on? THAT is the video I want to see.
6. If you make it to the part with the background dancers, congratulations. You win. The thing you win is that you are now screaming.