The injury concerns that have cropped up about Clay Buchholz aren't expected to keep him from pitching in the World Series. Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell said on local radio Wednesday afternoon that the right-hander is "ready to go" and will start either Game 3 or Game 4, reports Rob Bradford of WEEI.
Right-hander Jake Peavy will start whichever of the games Buchholz doesn't.
Buchholz, 29, missed a large chunk of the regular season because of shoulder issues, but was able to return to the rotation just in time to help the Red Sox down the stretch-run. Buchholz has shown no visible signs of an injury in his three starts this postseason, but Bradford heard from a source Tuesday that the right-hander may be dealing with "physical issues."
Farrell added in his comments to WEEI that if taking the mound was a health risk for Buchholz, the right-hander wouldn't be starting. This seems to indicate that Boston views the situation as somewhat a non-issue. Per Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Farrell said the indecision about Game 3 vs. Game 4 with Buchholz comes down to determining his availability for Game 7.
However, the club had a trainer intently watch Buchholz's light throwing session Wednesday, per Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald, so there's evidently some level of worry.
For as good as Buchholz was during the regular season, he's been pretty mediocre in his three October starts so far. The Texan has made it through the sixth inning in just one of his outings, and he's allowed 10 runs in his 16⅔ innings of work overall.
In addition to addressing Buchholz, Farrell touched on the Jonny Gomes/Daniel Nava situation in left field. The skipper said that Nava will play left in St. Louis because of the more expansive outfield at Busch Stadium.