The Red Sox are well on their way to taking a 1-0 advantage in the World Series.
The Boston Red Sox extended their lead to 8-0 over the St. Louis Cardinals after eight innings in Game 1 of the World Series on Friday.
David Ortiz, who was robbed of a grand slam earlier in the game by Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, took reliever Kevin Siegrist deep with two outs in the bottom of the seventh. Ortiz now has 16 postseason home runs, one more than Babe Ruth.
Red Sox starter Jon Lester tossed 7⅔ scoreless innings, surrendering only five hits and a walk while notching eight strikeouts. Junichi Tazawa entered in relief of Lester and retired Jon Jay to end the eighth.
Boston added a run in the bottom half of the inning when Xander Bogaerts hit a sacrifice fly to score Daniel Nava, who led off with a double.
• World Series: Adam Wainwright vs. Jon Lester in Game 1
• 10 greatest World Series programs
• Tim Lincecum signs 2-year deal with Giants | Neyer: Sabermetric move?
• How to fix the: Marlins | Astros
• Death of a Ballplayer: Wrongly convicted prospect spends 27 years in prison