The team has both Lucas Duda and Ike Davis available to play the position. While the Mets wouldn't be willing to just give either player away, an interested team likely wouldn't have to give up a ton in return.
Davis, 26, hit 32 home runs in 2012 and is a former top-100 prospect, but hit just .205 with a 661 OPS and nine homers over 103 games this season. The Mets sent him down to Triple-A Las Vegas midway through the season in the hopes that it would help him get back on track. After hitting extremely well for Las Vegas, he was recalled on July 5 and posted a .382 OBP through July. Things looked even better in August as he hit for a .290/.468/.522 line.
A strained oblique ended Davis's season, however, giving Duda a chance to start at first through September. In the final month of the season, Duda, 27, hit for a 719 OPS with four home runs, but struck out 30 times in 28 games. He had recently come back from an injury that cost him two months of the season. Prior to that, he had hit .235/.353/.438 with 11 home runs over 68 games.
The Mets appears to be happy with their options at first base. Wilpon says the team did not make an offer to Cuban slugger Jose Abreu, who signed with the White Sox last week. Had Abreu been a corner outfielder, Wilpon says, they may have made an effort to sign him.