The Pirates keep hitting line drives at the wrong guy.
Cardinals second baseman Matt Carpenter has been a magnet for line drives on Wednesday.
In the second inning, Carpenter snared a Pedro Alvarez rocket and threw to first to complete the double play. Six innings later, he did it again, though this time, Starling Marte was the victim:
At first glance, it looked as if first base umpire Paul Nauert might have made the wrong call. However, a closer look shows that the ball entered Matt Adams' glove before the tip of Jordy Mercer's foot touched the bag:
Mercer reached base on the first hit by a pinch-hitter for either team in the series, but just as was the case earlier, the Pirates' rally was killed before it even started. The following inning, Adams crushed a two-run homer to extend the Cardinals' lead to 5-1.
It appears St. Louis will be playing in its third consecutive NLCS.
• Meet Sir Bam Bam, who may be the future of big league managing
• ALDS: Red Sox punch ticket to ALCS | Tigers force Game 5
• D'Backs GM clarifies "eye for an eye" retaliation comment
• Sensitive Braves boycott Chipper Jones' first pitch | Call the Party Police!
• By chasing Girardi, the Cubs are building up for a letdown