Yankees rumors: New York targeting 2B Omar Infante, even if Cano re-signs

Otto Greule Jr

The Bombers like the versatility Infante provides and could go after him as added insurance at third base or short if the keystone is occupied.

The New York Yankees are pursuing infielder Omar Infante not just as an alternative to Robinson Cano at second base, but also as potential insurance should things go awry at third base or shortstop with Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter, reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York.

It's been well established that New York's first choice at the keystone is Robinson Cano. Though the Yankees have publicly stated his 10-year, $310 million asking price is far removed from reality and something they'd never consider, the club has still taken the time to sit down with him this week to find some sort of middle ground. It's clear they want him back.

Second on the Yankees' list appears to be Infante, who hits the open market after a career year with the Tigers. The Venezuelan infielder hit .318/.345/.450 with 10 home runs in 118 games for Detroit in 2013, notching career-best marks in batting average and slugging average.

Even if Cano re-signs for crazy money, Infante could be an option for the Bombers. Unlike most of the players on New York's roster, the 31-year-old Infante has a wealth of big-league experience playing multiple positions. While 60 percent of his playing time has come at the keystone, the remaining 40 percent has been spread fairly evenly among shortstop, third base and the outfield. What's more, he rates as a plus defender at all of those positions.

Should Alex Rodriguez's suspension hold up or, god forbid, Derek Jeter's ankle gives out again, Infante's versatility could potentially save the Yankees from replaying the nightmare scenario that led to Vernon Wells playing third base last year. As it stands, the back-ups on the left side of the infield are a bunch of no-stick and/or injury-prone guys like Brendan Ryan, Jayson Nix and David Adams.

Though Infante has been worth roughly three wins above replacement each of the past four seasons, he's never earned more than $4 million in salary, which could work in the Yankees' favor. Prognosticators seem to think that Infante will get a three-year deal for between $25-30 million this offseason, which isn't exactly cheap but is a pretty solid deal for such an adaptable player.

More from SB Nation MLB:

Hall of Fame ballot announced | An annual exercise in frustration

Alex Rodriguez calls out Bud Selig in lawsuit | "A-Roid" T-shirt

How to fix the Blue Jays | Complete series

Yankees won’t give Beltran a third year | More rumors

Death of a Ballplayer: Wrongly convicted prospect spends 27 years in prison

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Join SBNation.com

You must be a member of SBNation.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at SBNation.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.