David Manning-USA TODAY Sports
Think you missed something that went down in Orlando? We've got you covered.
The good news about this year's MLB Winter Meetings is that people can finally say it lived up the hype. The bad news is that all the hype was some variation of, "This is going to be really boring; all the exciting moves happened last week."
There was certainly plenty of potential for things in the "city" of Lake Buena Vista to exceed the low expectations -- Shin-Soo Choo signing, David Price and Matt Kemp changing hands -- but none of those things happened. Without Robinson Cano, Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann on the market, there was little to no opportunity for #MysteryTeam to make an appearance in the vast halls of the Disney resort. Instead, we were left with the much less captivating #others and a three-team trade whose centerpiece has never eclipsed three wins above replacement in a season.
Even a highly anticipated appearance from the president of the Rakuten Golden Eagles was a letdown, as he provided no answers as to the fate of Masahiro Tanaka. Sure, in the end there were certainly plenty of rumors, signings and trades to keep everyone glued to Twitter for three days, but overall the affair was wanting -- just as predicted.
Here's a quick rundown of the week's notable moves, broken down by day:
Day 1 - Monday
Roy Halladay announced his retirement, three all-time managers were elected to the Hall of Fame and plenty of rumors took shape, but no deals of note were consummated on the first day.
Day 2 - Tuesday
- Tigers sign OF Rajai Davis to a two-year, ~$10 million deal
- Angels trade 1B/OF Mark Trumbo to the Diamondbacks for LHP Tyler Skaggs in part of a three-team deal; White Sox send LHP Hector Santiago to the Angels and receive OF Adam Eaton from the D'Backs.
- Athletics trade LHP Brett Anderson to the Rockies for LHP Drew Pomeranz and RHP Chris Jensen.
Day 3 - Wednesday
- Mets sign RHP Bartolo Colon to a two-year, $20 million contract
- Mariners sign 1B/OF Corey Hart to a one-year, $5 million contract (plus incentives)
- Pirates sign RHP Edinson Volquez to a one-year, $5 million contract and RHP Charlie Morton to a three-year, $21 contract extension
- Marlins trade 1B/OF Logan Morrison to the Mariners for RHP Carter Capps
- Athletics trade LHP Jerry Blevins to the Nationals for minor-league OF Billy Burns
• Jeb Lund: Lessons from the Baseball Trade Show
• Mets sign Bartolo Colon | Mariners sign Corey Hart & trade for Logan Morrison
• MLB bans home plate collisions
• Trumbo, Eaton highlight 3-team trade between Angels, D-Backs, White Sox
• Death of a Ballplayer: Wrongly convicted prospect spends 27 years in prison